عنوان مقاله [English]
Knowledge on silvicultural characteristics of forest stands is prior to any forest management practice. The objectives of this study were to determine the forest types and to explore some quantitative and qualitative characteristics of Arasbaran forest protected area along an altitudinal gradient. Therefore, circular plots of 400 m2 at 50-meter elevation intervals were established along five altitudinal transects, 100 meters apart, from the lowest (1100 m a.s.l) to the highest (1725 m a.s.l) forest limit. In each plot, the physiographic conditions including slope gradient, altitude and geographic coordinates were determined. Woody species were identified and the diameter at breast height (dbh) of all trees above 7.5 cm dbh, as well as origin, health status, number of stems and tree leaning were measured. In addition, the regeneration frequency of each individual tree taller than 1.30 m in three diameter classes (0-2.5, 2.5-5 and 5-7.5 cm dbh) and shorter than 1.3 m in three height classes (0-10, 10-50 and 50-130 cm) were examined within 100 m2 regeneration plots. Four forest types including Carpinus betulus - Quercus petraea (1100-1400 m a.s.l), C. betulus - Q. petraea - Acer campestre- Fraxinus excelsior (1400-1500 m a.s.l), C. betulus - Q. petraea - A. campestre (1500-1650 m a.s.l) and C. betulus - Q. macranthera (1650-1725 m a.s.l) were distinguished along the altitudinal gradient. The highest number of stems per ha (mature and regeneration stands) and average basal area were observed in C. betulus - Q. macranthera type, whereas the highest average dbh was recorded in C. betulus - Q. petraea forest type. Finally, seed regeneration was most common in C. betulus - Q. petraea - A. campestre forest type.
- Alijanpour, A., Eshaghi Rad, J. and Banej Shafiei, A., 2009. Comparison of woody plants diversity in protected and non-protected areas of Arasbaran forests. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 17(1): 125-133 (In Persian).
- Alijanpour, A., Eshaghi Rad, J. and Banej Shafiei, A., 2011. Effect of physiographical factors on qualitative and quantitative characteristics of Cornus mas L. in Arasbaran forests. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 19(3): 396-407 (In Persian).
- Alijanpour, A., Zobeiri, M., Marvi Mohadjer, M.R. and Zargham, N., 2005. A comparison of forest stand qualitative factors in protected and non-protected areas of Arasbaran forests. Journal of Iranian Natural Resources, 60(1): 95-102 (In Persian).
- Amirghasemi, F., Sagheb-Talebi, K. and Dargahi, D., 2001. Natural regeneration structure in Arasbaran region (Sutanchay forest). Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 6: 1-61 (In Persian).
- Chaplagh Paridari, I., Jalali, S.Gh., Sonboli, A. and Zarafshar, M., 2012. Leaf, stomata and trichome morphology of the species in Carpinus Genus. Taxonomy and Biosystematics, 4(10): 11-26 (In Persian).
- Ebady, A. and Omidvar, A., 2011. Relationship between some ecological factors and distribution of yew tree (Taxus baccuta L.) in Arasbaran forests (Case study: Ilganechay and Horand regions). Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 19(3): 327-339 (In Persian).
- Fallahchay, M.M. and Marvie Mohadjer, M.R., 2005. Ecological role of altitude in diversity of tree species in Siahkal forests, north of Iran. Journal of Iranian Natural Resources, 58(1): 89-100 (In Persian).
- Hamzeh’ee, B., Safavi, S.R., Asri, Y. and Jalili, A., 2010. Floristic analysis and a preliminary vegetation description of Arasbaran biosphere reserve, NW Iran.Rostaniha, 11(1): 1-16 (In Persian).
- Hassanzad Navroodi, I., Namiranian, M. and Zahedi, Gh., 2006. Evaluation of relationship between quantitative and qualitative characteristics with site factors in the natural Beech (Fagus orientalis) stands at Asalem. Journal of Iranian Natural Resources, 57(2): 1-15 (In Persian).
- Körner, C., 2007. The use of ‘altitude’ in ecological research. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 22(11): 569-574.
- Lomolino, M.V., 2001. Elevation gradients of species-density: Historical and prospective views. Global Ecology & Biogeography, 10: 3-13.
- Marvie Mohadjer, M.R., 2007. Silviculture. University of Tehran Press, Tehran, 387p (In Persian).
- Moradi, Sh., Ramezani, E., Alijanpour, A. and Shafiei, A., 2015. Quantitative and qualitative characteristics of Arasbaran forest protected area in slope gradient classes. Forest Research and Development, 1(1): 1-16 (In Persian).
- Parma, R. and Shataee Jouybari, Sh., 2010. Impact of physiographic and human factors on crown cover and diversity of woody species in the Zagros forests (Case study: Ghalajeh forests, Kermanshah province). Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 18(4): 539-555 (In Persian).
- Ramezani, E., Marvie Mohadjer, M.R., Knapp, H.D., Theuerkauf, M., Manthey, M. and Joosten, H., 2013. Pollen-vegetation relationships in the central Caspian (Hyrcanian) forests of northern Iran. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 189: 38-49.
- Razavi, S.A., Rahmani, R. and Sattarian, A., 2009. The Investigation of effective factors on biodiversity using MLR (Case study; Vaz research forest). Journal of Wood & Forest Science and Technology, 1(1): 33-50 (In Persian).
- Sagheb Talebi, Kh., Sajedi, T. and Pourhashemi, M., 2014. Forests of Iran: A Treasure from the Past, A Hope for the Future. Springer, 152p.