عنوان مقاله [English]
After over five decades of establishing plantations in Chitgar Forest Park in Tehran, no study has yet been carried out on the soil seed bank in this region. This study aimed to investigate the composition of above-ground vegetation and soil seed bank. Therefore, 30 releves were established with 450m2 area each. For sampling soil seed bank within each releve, two samples were randomly collected by hammering a 400 cm2 into the soil to a depth of 5-10. Following this, the soil seed bank was estimated using the seedling emergence method. All in all there were 22 families and 62 species in above-ground vegetation and 29 species from 13 families were identified in the seed bank. All species in the soil seed bank were present in the above-ground vegetation. The results also showed that the above-ground vegetation included a higher species richness than the soil seed bank. High similarity of the soil seed bank and above-ground vegetation showed that the soil seed bank has the potential for reclamation of above-ground vegetation, but the lack of tree species in the soil seed bank hampers the practicability of the reforestation with an emphasis on seed germination of the soil seed bank. Furthermore, because of the structure and the type of the previous above-ground vegetation across the test site, the natural tendency of the area is towards the non-forest species.
- Abbasi, H., Ghorbani, J., Safaian, N. and Tamartash, R., 2009. Effect of fire on vegetation upon the soil seed bank in Bamo national park of Shiraz. Journal of Rangeland, 3(4): 623-640 (In Persian).
- Akhani, H., Djamali, M., Ghorbanalizadeh, A. and Ramezani, E., 2010. Plant biodiversity of Hyrcanian relict forests, in Iran: An overview of the flora, vegetation, palaeoecology and conservation. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 42: 231-258.
- Andreu, M.G., Hedman, C.W., Friedman, M.H. and Andreu, A., 2008. Can managers bank on seed banks when restoring Pinus taeda L. plantations in southwest Georgia? Journal of the Society for Ecological Restoration, 17(5): 586-596.
- Archibold, O.W., 1995. Ecology of World Vegetation. Chapman and Hall Press, London, 274p.
- Asadi, H., Hosseini, S. and Esmailzadeh, O., 2011. Persistent soil seed bank in Khybus protected area. Journal of Forest and Wood Products, 65(2): 131-145 (In Persian).
- Asadi, H., Hosseini, S.M., Esmailzadeh, O. and Baskin, C.C., 2011. Persistent soil seed banks in old growth Hyrcanian box tree (Buxus hyrcana) stands in northern Iran. Ecological Research, 27: 23-33.
- Augusto, L., Dupouey, J.L., Picard, J.F. and Ranger, J., 2001. Potential contribution of the seed bank in coniferous plantations to the restoration of native deciduous forest vegetation. Acta Oecologica, 22(2): 87-98.
- Baum, S., Weih, M. and Bolte, A., 2013. Floristic diversity in short rotation coppice (SRC) plantations: Comparison between soil seed bank and recent vegetation. Landbauforsch. Applied Agricultural and Forestry Research, 63(3): 221-228.
- Bekker, R.M., Verweij, G.L., Smith, R.E.N., Reine, R., Bakker, J.P. and Schneiper, S., 1997. Soil seed bank in European grasslands: Does land use affect regeneration perspectives? Journal of Applied Ecology, 34: 1293-1310.
- Blamey, R., 2001. Principles of ecotourism: 5-22. In: Weaver, D., (Ed.) The Encyclopedia of Ecotourism, CABI Publishing, Walingford, 668p.
- Dengler, J., Chytrý, M. and Ewald, J., 2008. Phytosociology: 2767-2779. In: Jorgensen, S.E. and Fath, B.D. (Eds.). Encyclopedia of Ecology (Vol. 4). Elsevier, Oxford, 4122p.
- Dessaint, F., Chadoeuf, R. and Barralis, G., 1997. Nine year’s soil seed bank and weed vegetation relationships in an arable filed without weed control. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34: 123-130.
- Diaz Villa, M.D., Maranon, T., Arroyo, J. and Garrido, B., 2003. Soil seed bank and floristic diversity in a forest grassland mosaic in southern Spain. Journal of Vegetation Science, 14: 701-709.
- Erfanzadeh, R., Hosseini Kahnuj, S.H. and Azarnivand, H., 2012. Introducing of suitable habitats as soil seed sources for vegetation recovery (Case study: Vaz watershed). Watershed Management Research (Pajouhesh & Sazandegi), 99: 103-112 (In Persian).
- Esmailzadeh, O., Hosseini, S.M., Mesdaghi, M., Tabari, M. and Mohammadi, J., 2010. Can soil seed bank floristic data describe above ground vegetation plant communities? Environmental Sciences, 7(2): 41-62 (In Persian).
- Esmailzadeh, O., Hosseini, S.M., Tabari, K.M., Baskin, C.C. and Asadi, H., 2011. Persistent soil seed banks and floristic diversity in Fagus orientalis forest communities in the Hyrcanian vegetation region of Iran. Flora, 206(4): 365-372.
- Fenner, M. and Thompson, K., 2005. The Ecology of Seeds. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 262p.
- Godefroid, S., Phatyal, Sh.S. and Koedam, N., 2006. Depth distribution and composition of seed banks under different tree layers in a managed temperate forest ecosystem. Acta Oecologica, 5: 1437-1443.
- Graciele, S., Diniz, P. and Ranal, M., 2006. Germinable soil seed bank of a gallery forest in Brazilian cerrado. Plant Ecology, 183: 337-348.
- Grime, J.P., 1979. Plant Strategies, Vegetation Processes and Ecosystem Properties. John Wiley and Sons, Oxford, 456p.
- Harper, J.L., 1977. The Population Biology of Plants. Academic Press, London, 892p.
- Honnay, O., Bossuyt, B., Jacquemyn, H., Shimono, A. and Uchiyama, K., 2008. Can a seed bank maintain the genetic variation in the above ground plant population? Oikos, 117: 1-5.
- Ismaeili Sari, A., Noori, J. and Laghaei, H., 2003. Evaluating the bioenvironmental potential of Chitgar forest park to effectively exploiting Chitgar park. Journal of Environment, 39: 39-45 (In Persian).
- Jalilvand, H., Karami, O., Shahnazari, A. and Shabani, M., 2012. Recreational evaluation by analytical hierarchy process (AHP) and geographical information system (GIS) case: Forest park of Martyr Zare, Mazandaran. Iranian Journal of Geography and Development, 10(29): 107-118 (In Persian).
- Kazemian, A., Saghafi Khadem, F., Assadi, M. and Ghorbanli, M., 2004. Floristic study of Bande-Golestan and identification biological forms and chorotype of area plants. Pajouhesh & Sazandegi, 64: 48-61 (In Persian).
- Mozaffarian, V., 2007. A Dictionary of Iranian Plant Name. Farhang-e Moaser Publication, Tehran, 671p.
- Price, J.N., Gross, C.L. and Whalley, W.R.D.B., 2010. Comparison of seedling emergence and seed extraction techniques for estimating the composition of soil seed bank. Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 43: 221-243.
- Raunkiaer, C., 1934. The Life Forms of Plants and Statistical Plant Geography. Clarendon Press, Oxford, 632p.
- Rechinger, K.H., 1963-1998. Flora Iranica (Vols. 1-173). Akademische Druck und Verlagsanstalt Press, Graz, Austria.
- Redondo-Brenes, A., 2006. Groth, carbon sequestration and management of native tree plantation in humid regions of Castarica. Plant Ecology, 34: 253-268.
- Reine, R., Chocarro, C. and Fillat, F., 2006. Spatial patterns in seed bank vegetation of semi-natural mountain meadows. Plant Ecology, 186: 151-160.
- Rokhfirooz, G., Ghorbani, J., Shokri, M. and Jafarian Jelodar, Z., 2011. Effect of rangeland rehabilitation and restoration on composition and diversity of species seeds in the soil. Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research, 18(2): 322-335 (In Persian).
- Simpson, R.L, Leck, M.A. and Parker, V.T., 1989. Seed banks: General concepts and methodological issues: 3-8. In: Leck, M.A., Parker, V.T. and Simpson, R.L. (Eds.). Ecology of Soil Seed Banks. Academic Press, New York, 484p.
- Stark, K.E., Arsenault, A. and Bradfield, G.E., 2008. Variation in soil seed bank species composition of a dry coniferous forest spatial scale and sampling considerations. Plant Ecology, 197(2): 173-181.
- Ter Braak, C.J.F. and Smilauer, P., 1998. CANOCO Reference Manual and User´s Guide to Canoco for Windows: Software for Canonical Community Ordination (Version 4). Microcomputer Power, Ithaca, NY, USA, 352p.
- Thompson, K. and Grime, J.P., 1979. Seasonal variation in the seed bank of herbaceous species in ten contrasting habitats. Journal of Ecology, 67: 893-921.
- Wang, J., Ren, H., Yang, L., Li, D. and Guo, Q., 2009. Soil seed banks in four 22-year-old plantations in south China: Implications for restoration. Forest Ecology and Management, 258(9): 2000-2006.
- Wishnie, M.H., Dent, D.H., Mariscal, E., Deago, J., Cedeno, N., Ibarra, D., Condit, R. and Ashton, P.M.S., 2007. Initial performance and reforestation potential of 24 tropical tree species planted across a precipitation gradient in the Republic of Panama. Forest Ecology and Management, 243: 39-49.