عنوان مقاله [English]
Sexual regeneration is amongst the most important factors that affect the survival and sustainability of forests. It is controlled by the total resources and conditions representing the role of microhabitats in the establishment of the regeneration. Thus, identifying the role of microhabitats on the establishment and diversity of regeneration is of great significance. Therefore, the present study was conducted in a central part of the Zagros region in Baba-Yadegar forests of Dalahoo County, Kermanshah province. A total of 372 5 × 5 plots were established with respect to the tree microhabitats, including Quercus brantii Lindl., Q. infectoria Oliv., Crataegus pontica C. Koch., mixed and open spaces (with no trees) along 7 transects. In each plot, the biological characteristics of the trees were measured together with sexual regeneration and soil litter depth. The results showed that the mean value of DBH was significantly higher for Q. infectoria microhabitat compared to other microhabitats. In addition, the number of sprouts was significantly higher for mixed microhabitat compared to others. The highest species diversity of regeneration was observed in Q. brantii microhabitat. Furthermore, the result of multivariate analysis showed that the species diversity and abundance of trees in the microhabitat were the most important factors in the discrimination among microhabitats with over 83 percent of accuracy. It was concluded that the microhabitats and their characteristics play a major role in the establishment of tree species regeneration, diversity and consequently on the future forest structure that can contribute to the success of the restoration plans in the Zagros forests.
- Ádám, R., Ódor, P. and Bölöni, J., 2013. The eﬀects of stand characteristics on the understory vegetation in Quercus petraea and Q. cerris dominated forests. Community Ecology, 14(1): 101-109.
- Asbeck, T., Pyttel, P., Frey, J. and Bauhus, J., 2019. Predicting abundance and diversity of tree-related microhabitats in Central European montane forests from common forest attributes. Forest Ecology and Management, 432: 400-408.
- Bayat, M., Namiranian, M. and Pourshakouri Allahdeh, F., 2017. Presentation of ingrowth models and determination of biotic and abiotic factors affecting regeneration in the Hyrcanian forests. Journal of Wood and Forest Science and Technology, 24(2): 1-16 (In Persian).
- Brashears, M.B., Fajvan, M.A. and Schuler, T.M., 2004. An assessment of canopy stratification and tree species diversity following clearcutting in central Appalachian hardwoods. Forest Science, 50(1): 54-64.
- De Boever, M., Gabriels, D., Ouessar, M. and Cornelis, W., 2015. Influence of scattered Acacia trees on soil nutrient levels in arid Tunisia. Journal of Arid Environments, 122: 161-168.
- Dehdashtifar, M., Jalali, S.Gh.A., Esmailzadeh, O. and Kahyani, S., 2014. Influence of canopy gaps size and dead trees on natural regeneration in the Experimental Forest Station of Tarbiat Modares University. Journal of Wood and Forest Science and Technology, 21(2): 149-168 (In Persian).
- Fallahchai, M.M., Salehi, A. and Mardalizad, Gh., 2016. Natural regeneration of (Populus caspica Bornm.) and its relationship with soil physical and chemical properties (Case study: Safrabaste region in east of Gilan province). Journal of Plant Researches (Iranian Journal of Biology), 29(1): 118- 129 (In Persian).
- Fan, W., Gua, H., Wang, X. and Duan, R., 2014. The effects of microhabitat, plant litter and seed burial on the regeneration of Quercus wutaishanica and Pinus tabulaeformis. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research, 29(2): 183-192.
- Gholami, Sh., Saadat, L. and Sayad, E., 2018. Different microhabitats have contrasting effects on the spatial distribution of tree regeneration density and diversity. Journal of Arid Environments, 148: 1-5.
- Gómez-Aparicio, L., Gómez, J.M. and Zamora, R., 2005. Microhabitats shift rank in suitability for seedling establishment depending on habitat type and climate. Journal of Ecology, 93(6): 1194-1202.
- Gómez-Aparicio, L., Pérez-Ramos, I.M., Mendoza, I., Matías, L., Quero, J.L., Castro, J., Zamora, R. and Marañón, T., 2008. Oak seedling survival and growth along resource gradients in Mediterranean forests: implications for regeneration in current and future environmental scenarios. Oikos, 117(11): 1683-1699.
- Großmann, J., Schultze, J., Bauhus, J. and Pyttel, P., 2018. Predictors of microhabitat frequency and diversity in mixed mountain forests in south-western Germany. Forests, 9(3): 104.
- Heidari, M., Pourbabaei, H. and Atar Roushan, S., 2011. Natural regeneration of Persian oak (Quercus brantii) between ecological species group in Kurdo-Zagros region. Iranian Journal of Biology, 24(4): 578-592 (In Persian).
- Heydari, M., Abdi, T., Mirab-balou, M., Mirzaei, J. and Zabiolahi, S., 2017a. Role of soil mesofauna in reflection of site conditions for optimal oak regeneration establishment (Quercus brantii Lindl.) in Zagros forests (Case study: Dalab, Ilam province). Journal of Forest and Wood Products, 70(2): 281-291 (In Persian).- Heydari, M., Prévosto, B., Naji, H.R., Mehrabi, A.A. and Pothier, D., 2017b. Influence of soil properties and burial depth on Persian oak (Quercus brantii Lindl.) establishment in different microhabitats resulting from traditional forest practices. European Journal of Forest Research, 136(2): 287-305.
- Hoseini, A., 2010. Effect of canopy density on natural regeneration in Manesht oak forests of Ilam. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 18(2): 219-229 (In Persian).
- Hosseini, A. and Aazami, A., 2018. Determining the natural establishment pattern of Quercus persica generative regeneration in different site conditions to restore Zagros forests. Geography and Sustainability of Environment, 7(25): 53- 63 (In Persian).- Johann, F. and Schaich, H., 2016. Land ownership affects diversity and abundance of tree microhabitats in deciduous temperate forests. Forest Ecology and Management, 380: 70-81.
- Kardiman, R., Afriandi, R., Schmidt, L.H, Ræbild, A. and Swinfield, T., 2019. Restoration of tropical rain forest success improved by selecting species for specific microhabitats. Forest Ecology and Management, 434: 235-243.
- Kovács, B., Tinya, F. and Ódor, P., 2017. Stand structural drivers of microclimate in mature temperate mixed forests. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 234: 11-21.
- Kralicek, K., Sánchez Meador, A.J., Rathbun, L.C., 2018. Development and assessment of regeneration imputation models for National Forests of Oregon and Washington. Forest Ecology and Management, 409: 667-682.
- Marvie-Mohadjer, M.R., 2013. Silviculture. University of Tehran Press, Tehran, 418p (In Persian).
- Mirnaseri, F., Rostami, A. and Naderi, M., 2016. The survey of the relationship between regeneration establishment of Persian oak with physiographic factors and the soil properties in Zagros forests (Case study: Rewno Mount of Ilam). Forest Strategical Approchment Journal, 1(3): 15-32 (In Persian).
- Ouin, A., Cabanettes, A., Andrieu, E., Deconchat, M., Roume, A., Vigan, M. and Larrieu, L., 2015. Comparison of tree microhabitat abundance and diversity in the edges and interior of small temperate woodlands. Forest Ecology and Management, 340: 31-39.
- Paillet, Y., Archaux, F., Boulanger, V., Debaive, N., Fuhr, M., Gilg, O., Gosselin, F. and Guilbert, E., 2017. Snags and large drive higher tree microhabitat densities in strict forest reserves. Forest Ecology and Management, 389: 176-186.
- Pourhashemi, M., Mansouri, F., Parhizkar, P., Panahi, P. and Hassani, M., 2015. Spatial pattern of sprout-clumps of Brant`s oak (Quercus brantii Lindl.), in utilized forest stands of Marivan. Journal of Plant Researches (Iranian Journal of Biology), 27(4): 534-543 (In Persian).
- Rencher, A.C., 2002. Methods of Multivariate Analysis, 2nd Edition. Wiley, New York, 727p.
- Singh, S., Malik, Z.A. and Sharma, C.M., 2016. Tree species richness, diversity, and regeneration status in different oak (Quercus spp.) dominated forests of Garhwal Himalaya, India. Journal of Asia-pacific Biodiversity, 9(3): 293-300.
- Tahmasebi, P., 2015. Ecology of Plant Communities. University of Shahrekord Publication, Shahrekord, 247p (In Persian).
- Tinya, F., Márialigeti, S., Bidló, A., Ódor, P., 2019. Environmental drivers of the forest regeneration in temperate mixed forests. Forest Ecology and Management, 433: 720-728.
- Winter, S. and Möller, G., 2008. Microhabitats in lowland beech forests as monitoring tool for nature conservation. Forest Ecology and Management, 255: 1251-1261.