عنوان مقاله [English]
Renewal of wood volume by 3P method has been suggested to replace the 100% renewal method to reduce field work and costs. In this method and following selection of sample trees from marked trees, the volume of industrial trunks and firewood in trees are field-measured. In order to evaluate and compare the full and 3P renewal methods in the Parchiva forestry plan in Mazandaran province, 1184 maple, ironwood, alder, beech and hornbeam were selected. The trees were first measured by 100% renewal method, followed by separate allocation of actual volume to industrial, cordwood and total volumes according to the procedure of 3P method. Estimation of tree volume was done by 3P method in 10 replications. The results of paired samples t-test showed a significant difference between 100% and 3P renewal methods for maple, ironwood and alder, while no significant difference was observed for beech and hornbeam (p < 0.05). An independent samples t-test also showed that volume estimation by 3P method did not reveal any significant difference on maximum and minimum error levels. The results of this study suggested the 3P method as a cost- and time-effective alternative to the full renewal method.
- Abbasi, H., Fallah, A., Poormajidian, M.R., Hojjati, H. and Rad Karimi, M., 2016. A comparison of volume renewal by 3P and traditional methods (Case study: forest management plan of Sardabrood). Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 23(4): 671-679 (In Persian).
- Akindele, S.O. and LeMay, V.M., 2006. Development of tree volume equations for common timber species in the tropical rain forest area of Nigeria. Forest Ecology and and Management, 226(1-3): 41-48.
- Anonymous, 1999. Applican of renewal volume by 3P method. Forests, Range and Watershed Management Organization, 12p (In Persian).
- Brown, T.C. and Brack, C., 1996. 3P- centroid volume sampling.https://fennerschool-associated.anu.edu.au/mensuration/BrackandWood1998/3PCENT.HTM.
- Fallahchai, M.M., Hashemi, S.A. and Rashidi, R., 2011. Assessment of volume renewal of beech species by the method of 3P. Journal of Biological Sciences, 3(3): 180-185 (In Persian).
- Ghafari, F.A., 2003. Revised assessment of the procedure 3P (section 4 Neka Zalemrood). M.Sc. thesis, Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch, Tehran, 101p (InPersian).
- Hassanzad Navroodi, I., Habibzadeh, V., Amanzadeh, B. and Sayadi, A.R., 2012. A study on the accuracy of some suggested models for the relationship between diameter and volume of beech trees (Case study: District 2, Nav-Asalem). Journal of Conservation and Utilization of Natural Resources, 1(2): 29-44 (In Persian).
- Masota, A.M., Zahabu, E., Malimbwi, R.E., Bollandsas, O.M. and Eid, T.H., 2014. Volume models for single trees in tropical rainforests in Tanzania.Journal of Energy and Natural Resources, 3(5): 66-76.
- Namiranian, M., 2006. Measurment of Tree and Forest Biometry. University of Tehran Press, 574p (In Persian).
- Salmanian Chafjiri, M.R., Salmanian, A.R. and Sheykholeslami, A., 2009. Comparison of volume remeasurement methods in Golband forest. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 17(2): 167-173 (In Persian).
- Sharma, M., Oderwald, R.G. and Amateis, R.L., 2002. A consistent system of equations for tree and stand volume. Forest and Ecology Management, 165(1-3): 183-191.
- Sheykholeslami, A., Amini, A. and Azernoosh, M.R., 2010. A comparison of volume renew by 3P and traditional methods (case study: forestry plan of Babolkenar). Iranian Journal of Forest, 2(1): 73-79 (In Persian).
- Vousoughi, A., 2004. The results of the implementation of 3P in the undestroyed and semi-destroyed forests (case study). M.Sc. thesis, Islamic Azad University of Nowshahr and Chalous Branch, 88p (In Persian).
- West, P.W., 2011. Potential for wider application of 3P sampling in forest inventory. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 41(7): 1500-1508.
- Yolme, Gh., Moayyeri, M.H., Kian, S., Mohammadi, J. and Pormalekshah, A.A.M.A, 2015. Evaluation of renewal volume methods of 3p and one hundred percent for hornbeam species (Case study: District one of Shast-kolate Forestry Plan). Journal of Wood and Forest Science and Technology, 22(2): 171-187 (In Persian).
- Zobeiri, M., 2002. Forest Biometry. University of Tehran Press, 411p (In Persian).
- Zobeiri, M., Salehi, P., Resaneh, Y., Asadi-Atoei, A.R. and Faghih-Nasiri, F., 2001. Evaluation of sampling 3P revision of forest trees in the forests north of the country. Proceedings of the National Conference on Management of Hyrcanian Forests and Sustainable Development. Iran, 6-4 Dec. 2001: 307-321 (In Persian).