عنوان مقاله [English]
In order to compare the quantitative and qualitative characteristics of eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoides Bartr. ex Marsh) trees that are the most common ones for wood culture in north of Iran, four P. deltoides stands with clone of 69/55 were selected in lowlands of Gilan (Davoodmazar and Haftdaghanan) and Mazandaran (Shirkola and Chamestan) provinces. In each stand, with method of random – systematic, samples of 400 m² were designed to measure the trees and soils. Likewise, the mean annual volume increment with highest coefficient of variation (CV) was considered as Comparison Index for determining the main affecting factors on growth and yield in four Populus stands. The mean diameter of trees in Shirkola (42.9 cm) and Chamestan (39.1 cm) was greater than that in Davoodmazar (27.9 cm) and Haftdaghanan (28.7 cm). The mean volume increment of tree in two province was significantly different, whereas in areas of Chamestan (34.4 m³/ha) and Shirkola (22.5 m³/ha) was greater than that in Davoodmazar (17.17 m³/ha) and Haftdaghanan (17.03 m³/ha). The mean annual volume increment of each tree was bigger in Shirkola (0.089 m³) and Chamestan (0.074 m³) compared to Haftdaghanan (0.036 m³) and Davoodmazar (0.031 m³). It can be deduced that in areas with very humid to humid climates of Gilan and Mazandaran which have favorable conditions for growth of Populus trees, soil texture is light to moderate with a silt content of more than 47% and pH higher than neutral, Populus deltoides growth is higher. The similar investigations with other clones of Populus in northern provinces of Iran with different climates are recommended.
- Alizadeh, A., 2005. Soil, Water, Plant Relationship. Imam Reza University, Mashhad, Iran, 470p (In Persian).
- Azarnoush, M.R., Feiznejhad Siadohoni, A.R. and Mohammadi, B., 2011. Study of quantitative and qualitative parameters of Popolus deltoides in two sites of Golafshan and Dallakkheil. Abstracts of the Conference on Forests and Environments Sponsors of Sustainable Development. Boushehr, Iran, 10-11 Oct. 2011: 122 (In Persian).
- Azaryan, M., Marvie Mohadjer, M.R., Etemaad, V., Shirvany, A. and Sadeghi, S.M.M., 2015. Morphological characteristics of old trees in Hyrcanian forest (Case study: Pattom and Namkhaneh districts, Kheyrud). Journal of Forest and Wood Products (Iranian Journal of Natural Resources), 68(1): 47-59 (In Persian).
- Cooper, D.J., D'Amico, D.R. and Scott, M.L., 2003. Physiological and morphological response patterns of Populus deltoides to alluvial groundwater pumping. Environmental Management, 31(2): 215-226.
- Cooper, D.T. and Van Haverbeke, D.F., 1990. Populus deltoides Bartr. ex Marsh; Eastern cottonwood: 530-543. In: Burns, R.M. and Honkala, B.H. (Eds.). Silvics of North America: Volume 2. Hardwoods. Agriculture Handbook 654, USDA Forest Service, Washington D.C., 876p.
- Das, D.K. and Chaturvedi, O.P., 2005. Structure and function of Populus deltoides agroforestry systems in eastern India: 2. Nutrient dynamics. Agroforestry Systems, 65(3): 223-230.
- Dickman, I. and Stuart, K.W., 1983. The Culture of Poplars in Eastern North America. Mishigan State University, U.S.A., 168p.
- Ebrahimi, E., 2008. Effect of spacing on the quantity and quality characteristics of oak (Quercus castaneifolia C. A. Mey.) plantation in lowland forests of Noor. M.Sc. thesis, Faculty of Natural Resources, University of Mazandaran, 90p (In Persian).
- Forotannejhad, M., 1967. Identification of Poplar Genus. Natural Resources Ministry, Tehran, 90p (In Persian).
- Forotannejhad, M., 1969. Guidance of poplar plantation on lowlands in North of Iran. Natural Resources Ministry, Tehran, 30p (In Persian).
- Ghazanshahi, J., 1997. Soil and Plant Analysis (translation). Publication of Homa, 312p (In Persian).
- Ghorani, M., 1986. Poplar and introduction of some clones for planting. Shafaroud Forest Corporation Company, 24p (In Persian).
- Habibi Kaseb, H., 1992. Foundations of Forest Soil Science. University of Tehran Press, Tehran, 424p (In Persian).
- Isebrands, J.G. and Karnosky, D.F., 2001. Environmental benefits of poplar culture: 207-218. In: Dickmann, D.I., Isebrands, J.G., Eckenwalder, J.E. and Richardson, J. (Eds.). Poplar Culture in North America. NRC Research Press, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 397p.
- Isebrands, J.G. and Richardson, J., 2014. Poplars and Willows: Trees for Society and the Environment. CABI and FAO, Oxfordshire, U.S.A., 643p.
- Khanjani Shiraz, B., Hemati, A., Pour Tahmasy, K. and Sardabi,H., 2013. Growth comparison of different poplar clones, planted on lowlands of west Guilan. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 21)3): 557-572(In Persian).
- Kia-daliry, Sh., Modir Rahmati, A.R., Gorji-Bahri, U., Ziaee Ziabari, S.F., Mokhtari, J., Borhani, A. and Ebrahimi, E., 2008. Investigation on growth and phonologic characteristics of poplar clones in Chamestan, Noor. Proceedings of the Second National Congress on Poplar and its Importance in Wood Farming, Vol. 1: 386-394. Published by Research Institute of Forests and Rangelands, Tehran, Iran (In Persian).
- Lashkarbolouki, E., Modirrahmati, A.R., Rahmani, R., Kahneh, E. and Mousavi Koopar, S.A., 2010. Phenology and growth characteristics of seven clones of Populus deltoides in Astaneh Ashrafie, Guilan. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 18(4): 527-538 (In Persian).
- Lotfian, H., 1984. Previous poplar research plans and the primary results of some of them. Proceedings of the Conference on Importance of Poplar, Tehran, 45: 51-117 (In Persian).
- Mohammadi Limaei, S., Bahramabadi, Z., Rostami Shahraje, T., Adibnegad, M. and Mosavi Koupar, S.A., 2013. Determination of economically optimal rotation age of Populus deltoides in Guilan Province. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 21(1): 63-75 (In Persian).
- Mokhtari, J., 2007. Study of effect of seedling diameter on establishment and poplar wood production. Final Report of Research Project, Research Institute of Forests and Rangelands, 24p (In Persian).
- Mokhtari, J. and Modir-Rahmati, A.R., 2006. Determination of suitable poplar clones in short rotation system in Chamestan. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 14(2): 135-147 (In Persian).
- Nelson, D.V. and Sommers, L.E., 1982. Total carbon, organic carbon and organic matter: 539-580. In: Page, A.L. (Ed.). Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 2, Chemical and Microbiological Properties, Second Edition. American Society of Agronomy, Inc., Soil Science Society of America, Inc., Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A., 1150p.
- Puri, S., Singh, V., Bhushan, B. and Singh, S., 1994. Biomass production and distribution of roots in three stands of Populus deltoides. Forest Ecology and Management, 65(2-3): 135-147.
- Salehi, A., Maleki, M., Shabanpour, M. and Basiri, R., 2012. Effect of soil physical properties and groundwater level on qualitative and quantitative characteristics of poplar plantations in West of Guilan province (Case study: Guisum region). Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 20(1): 38-49 (In Persian).
- Schreiner, E.J., 1959. Production of Poplar Timber in Europe and Its Significance and Application in the United States. Agriculture Hand book, No. 150, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington D.C., U.S.A., 124p.
- Seddighi, A.N., Fadaei Khoshkebijari, F. and Sotoudeh Fomani, B., 2012. Effect of physicochemica characteristics of soil on growth and wood production in cottonwood plantation (Populus deltoides Marsh) (study area: Masal forests of Iran). Annuals of Biological Research, 3(6): 3067-3072.