عنوان مقاله [English]
Brant`s oak (Quercus brantii Lindl.) is one of the most important tree species of Zagros forests. The major objective of the study was to assess various populations of the species for identification of plus tree individuals and growth trend analysis of the sapling of the selected trees. Therefore, seeds were collected from twelve single trees of one Brant`s oak populations located in Lorestan province. The selected trees were progeny tested based on a nested statistical design with three replications. Morphological data were biometrically and genetically analyzed, followed by investigating the trend of growth changes during the two years of the study. The selected trees were significantly different in the studied attributes. In addition, one of the progeny families showed outstanding domination over the others. Second year growth trend of 340 studied progeny saplings of the twelve families was similar to that of the first year. Meanwhile, the families with higher rank for the first-year growth based on seedling height, collar diameter and leaf number obtained better growth rates during the second year of the experiment. In other words, selecting plus trees based on progeny test at early years of sapling growth may effectively be used for selecting plus trees for breeding purposes such as seed orchard establishment. Furthermore, heritability of the studied characteristics varied between 0.48 to 0.99 and correlation coefficients between most of the paired characters increased for the second year.
- Ahmadi, R., Kiadaliri, H., Mataji, A. and Kafaki, S., 2014. Annual ring analysis of Persian oak (Quercus brantii) to determine periods of stress and tensions on Zagros forests (Case study: forests of Ilam county). Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Science, 5: 378-384.
- Alikhani, L., Rahmani, M.S., Shabanian, N. and Badakhshan, H., 2014. Genetic diversity assessment of Quercus infectoria and Q. libani populations in North- Zagros forests based on ISSR and IRAP markers. Iranian Journal of Rangelands and Forests Plant Breeding and Genetic Research, 22: 72-90 (In Persian).
- Alvaninejad, S., Tabari, M., Espahbodi, K. and Taghvaei, M., 2009. Heritability of traits in 1-year seedlings of Persian oak (Quercus brantii Lindl.). Iranian Journal of Rangelands and Forests Plant Breeding and Genetic Research, 16: 218-228 (In Persian).
- Chaubey, O.P., 2012. Eco-silvicultural options for sustainable management in Joint forest management- a case study of mixed forests of Madhya Pradesh, India. International Journal of Bio-Science and Bio-Technology, 4(1): 33-48.
- Court-Picon, M., Gadbin-Henry, C., Guibal, F. and Roux, M., 2004. Dendrometry and morphometry of Pinus pinea L. in lower province (France): Adaptability and variability of provenances. Forest Ecology and Management, 194(1): 319-333.
- Danner, B.T. and Knapp, A.K., 2001. Carbon and water relations of juvenile Quercus species in tall-grass prairie. Journal of Vegetation Science, 12(6): 807-816.
- Dillaway, D.N., Stringer, J.W. and Rieske, L.K., 2007. Light availability influences root carbohydrates, and potentially vigor in white oak advance regeneration. Forest Ecology and Management, 250: 227-233.
- Espahbodi, K., Mirzaie-Nodoushan, H., Tabari, M., Akbarinia,M., Dehghan-Shuraki,Y. and Jalali, S.G., 2008. Genetic variation in early growth characteristics of two populations of wild service tree (Sorbus torminalis (L.) Crantz) and their interrelationship. Silvae Genetica, 57: 340-348.
- Falconer, D.S. and Mackay, T.F.C., 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, London, 464p.
- Hawn, K.C., Myung, H. and Shin, B.C., 1999. Species diversity of forest ecosystem in Mt. Jangan, Chollobuk. Journal of Environment and Ecology, 13(3):271-279.
- Ishik, K. and Kara, N., 1997. Altitudinal variation in Pinus brutia Ten. and its implication in genetic conservation and seed transfers in southern Turkey. Silvae Genetica, 46: 113-120.
- Kanno, M., Yokoyama, J., Suyama, Y., Ohyama, M., Itoh, T. and Suzuki, M., 2004. Geographical distribution of two haplotypes of chloroplast DNA in four oak species (Quercus) in Japan. Journal of Plant Research, 117: 311-317.
- Leck, M.A. and Outred, H.A., 2008. Seedling Natural History: 18-41. In: Leck, M.A., Parker, T., Simpson, R. (Eds.), Seedling Ecology and Evolution. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.
- Lesica, P. and Allendorf, W., 1995. When are peripheral populations valuable for conservation? Conservation Biology, 9: 753-760.
- Mirzaie-Nodoushan, H., 2015. Forests Trees Seed Orchard. University of Tehran Press, Tehran, 297p (In Persian).
- Mirzaie-Nodoushan, H., Hosseinzadeh, H., Mehrpur, Sh., Panahi, P. and Mehdifar, D., 2018. Genetic architecture of a Persian oak plant population based on progenies seedling characteristics. Iranian Journal of Rangelands and Forests Plant Breeding and Genetic Research, 26: 32-43 (In Persian).
- Muir, G., Lowe, A.J., Fleming, C.C. and Vogl, C., 2004. High nuclear genetic diversity, high levels of outcrossing and low differentiation among remnant populations of Quercus petraea at the margin of its range in Ireland. Annals of Botany, 93: 691-697.
- Ohsawa, T., Saito, Y., Sawada, H. and Ide, Y., 2008. Impact of altitude and topography on the genetic diversity of Quercus serrate population in Chichibu Mountains, central Japan. Flora, 203: 187-196.
- Pourhashemi, M., Mohajer, M.R., Zobeiri, M., Zahedi Amiri, Gh. and Panahi, P., 2004. Identification of forest vegetation units in support of government management objectives in Zagros forests, Iran. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research, 4: 72-77.
- de Casas, R.R., Cano, E., Balaguer, L., Pérez-Corona, E., Manrique, E., García-Verdugo, C. and Vargas, P., 2007. Taxonomic identity of Quercus coccifera L. in the Iberian Peninsula is maintained in spite of widespread hybridization, as revealed by morphological, ISSR and ITS sequence data. Flora, 202(6): 488-499.
- Steel, R.G.D. and Torrie, J.H., 1986. Principles and Procedures of Statistics, a Biometrical Approach. McGraw-Hill International Book Company, Auckland, New Zealand, 633p.
- Tabandeh, A., Tabari, M., Mirzaie-Nodoushan, H. and Espahbodi, K., 2012. Variation within and among Quercus castaneifolia populations based on their seedling characteristics. Iranian Journal of Rangelands and Forests Plant Breeding and Genetic Research, 20(1): 69-82 (In Persian).
- Valdés-Rodríguez, O.A., García-De La Cruz, Y. and Frey, B.R., 2017. Survival and growth of three endangered oak species in a Mexican montane cloud forest. Annals of Forest Research, 60(1): 89-100.
- Valladares, F., Chico, J., Arranda, I., Balaguer, L., Dizengremel, P., Manrique, E. and Dreyer, E., 2002. The greater seedling high-light tolerance of Quercus robur over Fagus sylvatica is linked to a greater physiological plasticity. Trees, 16: 395-403.
- Wang, R.U. and Szmidt, A.E., 2001. Molecular markers in population genetics of forest trees. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research, 16: 199-220.