عنوان مقاله [English]
A comprehensive study on breaking dormancy of mountain ash(Sorbus luristanica Bornm.) endemic species is still lacking. Here, the high efficient potentials of multiwall carbon nanotubes were used to break seed dormancy and improve seed germination in mountain ash. First, the seeds were primed with different concentrations of the nano-material including 0, 75, 150, 250, 350 and 500 mg l-1 during 24 hours. Then warm (two weeks) and cold (three or four months) stratifications were performed. The results showed that the seeds require cold stratification for at least 3 months. After the cold stratification period, the seeds were transferred to petri dishes in germinator. Daily seed germinations were recorded during 22 days. Eventually seed germination parameters such as seed germination percent, germination speed as well as mean germination time were calculated and compared. To understand the effects of nano-materials on the seedlings from different treatments, the subsequent growth of seeds was studied. The results revealed that all germination parameters were improved by 350 mg l-1 treatment. The microscopic seed observations showed that the nano-priming treatments led to seed endocarp abrasion and increased oxygen and moisture infiltration into seeds. Increasing root height growth was associated with the most considerable effects of treatments. Conclusively, it seems that increase in seedling moisture is one of the functional mechanisms of the MWCNT.
- Ahmadloo, F., Tabari, M., Rahmani, A. and Yousefzadeh, H., 2011. Effect of cattle manure and decomposed litter to improve germination and survival of Cupressus arizonica and C. sempervirens var. horizontalis in nursery.Journal of Forest and Wood Products, 63(4): 317-330 (In Persian).
- Aliyari, F., Soltani, A. and Zarafshar, M., 2016. Germination model for Arizona cypress (Cupressus arizonica) in response to temperature and drought stress. Iranian Journal of Seed Research, 2(2): 113-121 (In Persian).
- Almasouri, M., Kinet, J.M. and Lutts, S., 2001. Effect of salt and osmotic stresses on germination in durum wheat (Triticum durum Desf.). Plant and Soil, 231(2): 243-254.
- Esmaeili Sharif, M., Hosseini Nasr, S.M., Ghamari Zare, A. and Talebi, M., 2016. Appropriate methods for breaking seed dormancy of Iranian mountain ash (Sorbus persica Hedl.). Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 23(4): 694-706 (In Persian).
- Espahbodi, K., Hosseini, S.M., Mirzaie-Nodoushan, H., Tabari, M., Akbarinia, M. and Dehghan-Shooraki, Y., 2007. Tree age effects on seed germination in Sorbus torminalis. General and Applied Plant Physiology, 33(1-2): 107-119.
- Fathi, Z., Khavari Nejad, R.A., Mahmoodzadeh, H. and Nejad Satari, T., 2017. Investigating of a wide range of concentrations of multi-walled carbon nanotubes on germination and growth of castor seeds (Ricinus communis L.). Journal of Plant Production Research, 57(3): 228-236.
- Ghodake, G., Seo, Y.D., Park, D. and Lee, D.S., 2010. Phytotoxicity of carbon nanotubes assessed by Brassica juncea and Phaseolus mungo. Journal of Nanoelectronics and Optoelectronics, 5(2): 157-160.
- Haghighi, M. and da Silva, J.A.T, 2014. The effect of carbon nanotubes on the seed germination and seedling growth of four vegetable species. Journal of Crop Science and Biotechnology, 17(4): 201-208.
- Huang, Z., Zhang, X., Zheng, G. and Gutterman, Y., 2003. Influence of light, temperature, salinity and storage on seed germination of Haloxylon ammodendron. Journal of Arid Environments, 55(3): 453-464.
- Jiang, Y., Hua, Z., Zhao, Y., Liu, Q., Wang, F. and Zhang, Q., 2014. The effect of carbon nanotubes on rice seed germination and root growth. In: Zhang, T.C., Ouyang, P., Kaplan, S., Skarnes, B. (Eds.) Proceedings of the 2012 International Conference on Applied Biotechnology (ICAB 2012). Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, Vol. 250. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 615p.
- Khodakovskaya, M.V., de Silva, K., Biris, A.S., Dervishi, E. and Villagarcia, H., 2012. Carbon nanotubes induce growth enhancement of tobacco cells. ACS Nano, 6(3): 2128-2135.
- Khodakovskaya, M.V., Dervishi, E., Mahmood, M., Xu, Y., Li, Z., Watanabe, F. and Biris, A.S., 2009.Carbon nanotubes are able to penetrate plant seed coat and dramatically affect seed germination and plant growth. ACS Nano, 3(10): 3221-3227.
- Kole, C., Kole, P., Randunu, K.M., Choudhary, P., Podila, R., Ke, P.C., Rao, A.M. and Marcus, R.K., 2013. Nanobiotechnology can boost crop production and quality: first evidence from increased plant biomass, fruit yield and phytomedicine content in bitter melon (Momordica charantia). BMC Biotechnology, 13: 1-10.
- Kučerová, V., Honec, M., Paule, L., Zhelev, P. and Gömöry, D., 2010. Genetic differentiation of Sorbus torminalis in Eastern Europe as determined by microsatellite markers. Biologia, 65(5): 817-821.
- Kulkarni, M.G., Street, R.A. and Van Staden, J., 2007.Germination and seedling growth requirements for propagation of Diosscorea dregeana (Kunth) Dur. and Schinz - A tuberous medicinal plant. South African Journal of Botany, 73(1): 131-137.
- Lafond, G.P. and Baker, R.J., 1986. Effects of temperature, moisture stress, and seed size on germination of nine spring wheat cultivars. Crop Science, 26(3): 563-567.
- Lahiani, M.H., Dervishi, E., Chen, J., Nima, Z., Gaume, A., Biris, A.S. and Khodakovskaya, M.V., 2013. Impact of carbon nanotube exposure to seeds of valuable crops. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 5(16): 7965-7973.
- Li, Q., Chen, B., Wang, Q., Shi, X., Xiao, Z., Lin, J. and Fang, X., 2009. Carbon nanotubes as molecular transporters for walled plant cells. Nano Letters, 9(3): 1007-1010.
- Ma, X., Geiser-Lee, J., Deng, Y. and Kolmakov, A., 2010. Interactions between engineered nanoparticles (ENPs) and plants: Phytotoxicity, uptake and accumulation. Science of the Total Environment, 408(16): 3053-3061.
- Mozaffarian, V., 2010. Trees and Shrubs of Iran. Farhang-e Moaser, Tehran, 991p (In Persian).
- Naseri, B. and Tabari, M., 2015. Effects of GA3 and stratification on seed germination of field maple (Acer campestre L.). Journal of Forest and Wood Products, 68(2): 419- 428 (In Persian).
- Nel, A., Xia, T., Meng, H., Wang, X., Lin, S., Ji, Z. and Zhang, H., 2013. Nanomaterial toxicity testing in the 21st century: use of a predictive toxicological approach and high-throughput screening. Accounts of Chemical Research, 46(3): 607-621.
- Paganová, V., 2007. Ecology and distribution of Sorbus torminalis (L.) Crantz. in Slovakia. Horticultural Science, 34(4): 138-151.
- Panwar, P. and Bhardwaj, S.D., 2005. Handbook of Practical Forestry. Agrobios, Jodhpur, 191p.
- Pazhouhan, I., Jalali, S.Gh.A., Atabati, H., Zarafshar, M. and Sattarian, A., 2016. Comparison of carbon nanotubes with chemical and physical treatments to break seed dormancy of Myrtus communis L. Journal of Plant Researches, 29(2): 300-308 (In Persian).
- Piagnani, C. and Bassi, D., 2000. In vivo and in vitro propagation of Sorbus spp. from juvenile material. Italus Hortus, 7(5): 3-7.
- Piotto, B. and Di Noi, A., 2003. Seed Propagation of Mediterranean Trees and Shrubs. Agency for the Protection of Environment and for Technical Services (APAT), Roma, 108p.
- Pourkhaloee, A., Haghighi, M., Saharkhiz, M.J., Jouzi, H. and Doroodmand, M.M., 2011. Carbon nanotubes can promote seed germination via seed coat penetration. Seed Technology, 33(2): 155-169.
- Srivastava, A. and Rao, D.P., 2014. Enhancement of seed germination and plant growth of wheat, maize, peanut and garlic using multiwalled carbon nanotubes. European Chemical Bulletin, 3(5): 502- 504.
- Tiwari, D.K., Dasgupta-Schubert, N., Villaseñor Cendejas, L.M., Villegas, J., Carreto Montoya, L. and Borjas García, S.E., 2014. Interfacing carbon nanotubes (CNT) with plants: enhancement of growth, water and ionic nutrient uptake in maize (Zea mays) and implications for nanoagriculture. Applied Nanoscience, 4(5): 577-591.