عنوان مقاله [English]
This research was started in 1995 in order to investigate the effect of thinning on the young plantations of velvet maple (Acer velutinum Boiss.). The silvicultural interventions comprised three main treatments (medium and heavy thinning), two secondary treatments (3-year and 5-year rotations) in the fully randomized design with three replications. There were 9 sample plots in the experimental design with an area of 0.3-0.4 hectare each. A full calipering of the future trees was done after 20 years and 6 thinning operations. The results for DBH, total height, trunk height and trunk diameter showed significant differences between the control treatment and thinning intensities. However, no significant difference was observed between the secondary sub- treatment (circulation 3 years and 5 years) and the intersection between the main and sub plots treatments for DBH, total height, trunk height and trunk diameter. For the intensive thinning treatment, the largest value of 32.95 cm was observed for the DBH, while the lowest value of 27.39 cm was observed for the slight thinning. In addition, the largest height of 24.42 m was observed for intensive thinning, whereas the lowest rate of 23.63 m was observed for the control treatment.
- Amani, M., 1991. Silviculture. Course Notes, Chaloos Branch, Islamic Azad Universit, Chaloos, 169p (In Persian).
- Amani, M., Ekhlasi, Gh., Esmaeilnia, M., Hassani, M., Yazdani, Sh. and Beheshti, H., 1996. Preliminary results of qualitative, quantitative and silvicultural investigation in young plantation of Maple (Acer velutinum Boiss). Pajouhesh & Sazandegi, 31(2): 6-21 (In Persian).
- Bastien, Y., 1995. L'expérience danoise d'éclairci de hetre de totterup. Revue Forestière Française, 2: 133-136.
- del Río, M., Bravo-Oviedo, J.A., Pretzsch, H., Löf, M. and Ruíz-Peinado, R., 2017. A review of thinning effects on Scots pine stands: From growth and yield to new challenges under global change. Forest Systems, 26(2): 1-19.
- Eslami, A.R., Jahanaray, M.R., Habibi Bibalani, Gh. and Hasani, M., 2013. Effect of thinning operations on maple (Acer velutinum) plantations (Case study: Mazandaran Wood and Paper Company's Forest Management Project). Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 21(1): 76-85 (In Persian).
- Firouzan, A.H., Bonyad, A. and Falahchai, M.M., 2006. The Investigation of thinning effects on the quantitative and qualitative variables on loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) in Lahijan region. Journal of Agricultural Science, 12(3): 513-524 (In Persian).
- Forouzesh-Sotgavaberi, R., Ahmadi, M.T., Etemad, V. and Saeidi, H.R., 2009. Investigation on quantitative and qualitative characteristics of 19-years old plantation of Caucasian alder (Alnus subcordata) in Siahkal region. Iranian Journal of Forest, 1(2): 137-150 (In Persian).
- Gorji Bahri, Y. and Hemati, A., 1999. Results of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) and Caucasian alder (Alnus subcordata C. A. Mey.) silvicultural operations in the Caspian low land regions of Iran. Pajouhesh & Sazandegi, 63: 2-9 (In Persian).
- Hassani, M. and Amani, M., 2004. Effects of thinning on plantation of Maple (Acer velutinum Boiss.) at Emamzadeh-Abdullah experimental site after eight years. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 12(3): 339-370 (In Persian).
- Hassani, M., Eslami, A. and Hadizadeh Marjani, Gh.R., 2016. The effect of thinning on young plantations of velvet maple (Acer velutinum Boiss.) on the quantitative and qualitative characteristics of future trees (Case study: Holomsar-Amol). Journal of Plant Researches (Iranian Journal of Biology), 29(2): 339-351 (In Persian).
- Lindgren, P.M.F. and Sullivan, T.P., 2013. Long-term responses of tree and stand growth of young lodgepole pine to pre-commercial thinning and repeated fertilization. Forest Ecology and Management, 307: 155-164.
- Liziniewicz, M., 2014. Influence of spacing and thinning on wood properties in conifer plantations. Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Forest Sciences, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Alnarp, 61p.
- Lowell, E.C., Dykstra, D.P. and Monserud, R.A., 2012. Evaluating effects of thinning on wood quality in southeast Alaska. Western Journal of Applied Forestry, 27(2): 72-83.
- Pourmajidian, M.R., Ardeshiri, A., Fallah, A. and Hodjati, S.M., 2017. The effect of thinning on Alder (Alnus subcordata) and Persian maple (Acer velutinum) plantations in Chendella Forest, Mazandaran. Iranian Journal of Forest, 9(2): 261-272 (In Persian).
- Sullivan, T.P. and Sullivan, D.S., 2016. Acceleration of old-growth structural attributes in lodgepole pine forest: Tree growth and stand structure 25 years after thinning. Forest Ecology and Management, 365: 96-106.
- Toromani, E., Mine, V., Diku, A., Saliaj, E. and Seci, A., 2014. The effect of thinning on oak forests growth. Case study from Dumreja in central Albania. 1st Conference of the COST Action FP 1301. Italy, 26 Feb. 2014, 1p.
- Townend, J., 2002. Practical Statistics for Environmental and Biological Scientists. John Wiley & Sons, England, 288p.
- Zhang, S., Chauret, G. and Tong, Q., 2009. Impact of precommercial thinning on tree growth, lumber recovery and lumber quality in Abies balsamea. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research, 24(5): 425-433.