عنوان مقاله [English]
Cold stratification is widely used to break dormancy of ash (Fraxinus excelsior L.) seeds. In this study, two groups of seedlings produced by two treatments of ash seeds, one and two-years cold stratification of seeds were investigated with three replications in a completely randomized design in samples of one m2 per plot. Some quantitative characteristics of seedlings including collar diameter, leaf area, stem length, root length, crown height and its biomass and leaves chemical characteristics including organic carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and relationship between carbon to nitrogen are examined. The results showed that seedlings density from the two-years old seeds (average of 157.67 seedlings per m2) was significantly higher than that of one-year treatment seeds (average of 61.67 seedlings per m2). Also significant difference between two stratification treatments was recognized for collar diameter, crown diameter, crown height, total height, root length and leaf area index; which were higher values in two years’ cold stratification treatment. Among the chemical characteristics of leaves, only potassium content showed significant difference which was higher in the two years’ cold stratification treatment. In general, we conclude that cold stratification on seed of ash for two years ensure the successful production of ash seedlings in nurseries.
- Anonymous, 2001. Sapling production of governmental and private nurseries. Annual Report, Published by Forests, Range and Watersheds Management Organization, Afforestation, Parks and Forest Reserves Office, Chalus 10p (In Persian).
- Anonymous, 2016. Statistics of 10-year old (2006-2015) saplings. Published by Forests, Range and Watersheds Management Organization, Afforestation, Parks and Forest Reserves Office, Chalus (In Persian).
- Barton, M.L., Medel, I.D., Johnston, K.K. and Whitcraft, C.R., 2016. Seed collection and germination strategies for common wetland and coastal sage scrub species in southern California. Bulletin of Southern California Academy of Sciences, 115(1): 41-71.
- Baskin, C.C. and Baskin, J.M., 2014. Seeds: Ecology, Biogeography, and Evolution of Dormancy and Germination. Second edition, Elsevier/Academic Press, San Diego, 666p.
- Craine, J.M., 2006. Competition for nutrients and optimal root allocation. Plant and Soil, 285(1): 171-185.
- Connell, J.H. and Green, P.T., 2000. Seedling dynamics over thirty-two years in a Tropical rain forest tree. Ecology, 81(2): 568-584
- Dehbandi, A. and Mohammadnezhad Kiasari, Sh., 2000. A preliminary study of Cedrus deodara planting stand in Pasand Research Station. Journal of Agricultural Science and Natural Resources, 8(1): 39-49.
- Espahbodi, K. and Khorankeh, S., 2013. Effect of planting date and seedling cover on seed germination of mountain ash (Fraxinus excelsior L.) and decrease of spring late cold damage. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 21(1): 109-129 (In Persian).
- FAO, 2011. State of the World Forest. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, 163p.
- Hazara, C.R. and Tripathi, S.B., 1986. Soil properties, micro meteorological parameters, forage yield and phosphorus uptake of berseem as influenced by phosphorus application under agroforestry system of production. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science, 156: 145-152.
- Hassanvand, Sh., Etemad, V., Namiranian, M., Attar, P. and Aftabtalab, N., 2015. Influence of source variation on biomass and survival of Caucasian oak (Quercus macranthera) in Kentia nursery in north of Tehran. Journal of Forest and Wood Products (Iranian Journal of Natural Resources), 68(1): 99-106 (In Persian).
- Jo, S.M., Jung, K.Y., Kang, H.W., Choi, Y.D., Lee, J.S. and Jeon, S.H., 2016. Effect of seedling age on growth and yield at transplanting of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench). Korean Journal of Crop Science, 61(1): 50-56.
- Kebeish, R., Niessen, M., Thiruveedhi, K., Bari, R., Hirsch, H.J., Rosenkranz, R., Stäbler, N., Schönfeld, B., Kreuzaler, F. and Peterhänsel, C., 2007. Chloroplastic photorespiratory bypass increases photosynthesis and biomass production in Arabidopsis thaliana. Natural Biotechnology, 25(5): 593-9.
- Khan, A.A., 1971. Cytokinins permissive role in seed germination. Science, 171: 853-859.
- Khavazi, K., Asadi Rahmani, H. and Malakooti, M.J., 2005. Necessary for industrial production of biological fertilizers in the country. Sana Publications, Tehran, pp. 68-69 (In Persian).
- Lang, G.A., 1985. Dormancy: A new universal terminology, Horticultural Science, 22: 817-820.
- Levesque-Tremblay, G., Müller, K., Mansfield, S.D. and Haughn, G.W., 2015. Highly methyl esterified seeds is a pectin methyl esterase involved in embryo development. Plant physiology, 167(3): 725-737.
- Marvi Mohajer, M.R., 2006. Silviculture. University of Tehran Press, Tehran, 388p (In Persian).
- Ma, Q.Y., Chen, L., Hou, J., Liu, H.L. and Li, S.X., 2016. Seed viability tests for Acer pictum and A. rubrum. European Journal of Horticultural Science, 81(1): 44-48.
- Messier, C., Tittler, R., Knee Shaw, D.D., Gelhans, N., Paquette, A. and Berninger, K., 2009. TRIAD Zoning in Quebec: Experiences and results after 5 years. The Forestry Chronicle, 85(6): 885-896.
- Mossadegh, A., 2008. Afforestation and Forest Nursery. University of Tehran Press, Tehran, 516p (In Persian).
- Panahi, B., Esmailpoor, A., Farbod, F., Moazenpoorkermani, M. and Farivarmahin, H., 2002. Pistachio guide (plant and harvest). Published by Agricultural Research and Education Organization, 149p (In Persian).
- Subramanian, K.N., Mandal, A.K. and Nicodemus, A., 1995. Genetic variability and character association in Eucalyptus grandis. Annals of Forestry, 3(2): 134-137.
- Tabari, M. and Yosef-Zadeh, H., 2005. Influence of source variation on early growth and biomass of Acer velutinum Boiss. In north of Iran. Pajouhesh & Sazandegi, 73(3): 189-194 (In Persian).
- Thomas, P.A., 2016. Biological flora of the British Isles: Fraxinus excelsior. Journal of Ecology, 104(4): 1158-1209.
- Zhou, Y.M., Lu, J.J., Tan, D.Y., Baskin, C.C. and Baskin, J.M., 2015. Seed germination ecology of the cold desert annual Isatis violascens (Brassicaceae): two levels of physiological dormancy and role of the pericarp. PLOS ONE, 10(10): 1-16.
- Zhu, X.G., Long, S.P. and Ort, D.R., 2008. What is the maximum efficiency with which photosynthesis can convert solar energy into biomass? Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 19(2): 153-159.