عنوان مقاله [English]
The objectives of study were to compare different types of wood loss including breakage, split, slab, and high stump and also to investigate cut components such as, height and depth of undercut and back cut, notch, and width of hinge wood between the two groups of workers. Parcels no. 138 and 139 in Asalem Nav series 1 were chosen as the study area. 150 felled trees by workers paid by piece and day work method were selected randomly. The mean stump loss between the two groups was compared by Independent- Sample T- test and the comparison between the size of each components of felling and the standard felling was made by Paired Sample T-test. There was a significant difference between felling values in different groups compared with standard values except the depth of back cut in the second group (33.41 cm) and the width of hinge wood in the first group (6.78 cm). The average high stump loss for the four groups was 0.035, 0.0355, 0.0498, and 0.0438 m3, respectively. The average loss per felled tree among the four groups was 0.2915, 0.2286, 0.3775 and 0.4637 m3, respectively. There was a significant difference between mean value losses of wood in the four groups; the day work paid group had fewer losses compared the piece work paid group. The largest volume of loss in all groups belonged to breakage damage. Regarding the price of different products fabricated from the wood cut, results showed that the greatest decrease in price belonged to the groups paid by piece work contract.
- Abdolahipanah, M., 2015. Labour Law: Rules and Regulations. Center of Textbooks Publication, Tehran, 96p (In Persian).
- Acar, H. and B. Dinc., 2001. A research on the extracting activities in the winter season on the steep areas. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry, 25: 139-147.
- Anonymous, 2003. Forest Management Plan of Nav District. Shafaroud Company, 256p (In Persian).
- Bonyad, A.E., Porrostami, R. and Majnonian, B., 2004. Investigating the effect of slope factor on the logging residues of beech trees during bucking operation. Iranian Journal of Natural Resources, 57(1): 91-97 (In persian).
- Borz, S.A., Ignea, G. and Vasilescu, M.M., 2014. Small gains in wood recovery rate when disobeying the recommended motor-manual tree felling procedures: Another reason to use the proper technical prescriptions. BioResources, 9(4): 6938-6949.
- Boston, K. and G, Dysart., 2000. A comparison of felling techniques on stump height and log damage with economic interpretations. Western Journal of Applied Forestry, 15(2): 59-61.
- Cedergren, J., Falck, J., Garcia, A., Goh, F. and Hanger, M., 2002. Feasibility and usefulness of directional felling in a tropical rain forest. Journal of Tropical Forest Science, 14: 179-190.
- Cheung, S., 1969. Transaction costs, risk vversion and the choice of contractual arrangements. Journal of Law and Economics, 12: 23-42.
- Conway, S., 1976. Logging Practices. Miller Freeman Press, United State, 416p.
- Ershadifar, M., Nikooy, M. and Naghdi, R., 2011. Ability assessment of felling crew in directional felling in west forest of Gilan province. Iranian Journal of Forest, 3(2): 169-176 (In Persian).
- Etehad Abari, M. and Majnounian, B., 2011. Quantitative and qualitative of wood loss following motor-manual tree felling. Iranian Journal of Forest, 3(1): 25- 34 (In Persian).
- Ghorbani, Z. and Jourgholami, M., 2013. The drop in timber felling and bucking operations and reduce its value (Case study: Fagus orientalis and Crapinus betulus trees of Kheyrud forest). Journal of Forest and Wood Products (Iranian Journal of Natural Resources), 67(4): 627- 645 (In Persian).
- Hall, R. and Han, H.S., 2006. Improvements in value recovery through low stump heights: mechanized versus manual felling. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry, 21(1): 33-38.
- Han, H.S. and Renzie, C., 2005. Effect of ground slope, stump diameter and species on stump height for Feller-Buncher and chainsaw felling. International Journal of Forest Engineering, 16(2): 81-88.
- Hart, O. and Holmstrom, B., 1985. The Theory of Contracts. In: Bewely, T. (Ed.). Advances in Ecnonomic Theory. University of Cambridge Press, Cambridge, UK, 155p.
- Hendrison, J., 1990. Damage-Controlled Logging in Managed Tropical Rain Forest in Suriname. University of Michigan Press, Michigan, 204p.
- Kantola, M. and Harstela, M.P., 1988. Handbook on Appropriate Technology for Forestry Operations in Developing Counties, Part 2. Forestry Training Programme Publication 19. National Board of Vocational Education of the Government of Finland, Helsinki, 170p.
- Keivan Behjou, F., Majnounian, B., Namiranian, M., Saeed, A. and Feghhi, J., 2008. Determination of volume and value loss in logging operations (Case study: Chafroud forests of Gilan). Journal of Forest and Wood Products (Iranian Journal of Natural Resources), 63(3): 299-304 (In Persian).
- Khorramizadeh, A. and Jourgholami, M., 2015. Industrial round-wood losses associated with mottor-manuall tree felling and bucking (Case study: Kheyrud forest). Iranian Journal of Wood and Paper Industries, 6(1): 67-78 (In Persian).
- Legrere, G., 2001. Reduction of stem damage by integrating skidding with declaiming. Research Project, Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada (FERIC), Quebec, 12p.
- Lotfalian, M., 2011. Logging. Published by Aeeizh, Tehran, 488p (In Persian).
- McNeel, J.F. and Copithorne, R., 1996. Yarding systems and their effect on log quality and recovery levels in coastal timber of British Columbia. Proceedings of Conference on Forest Products Society, Portland, Oregon, 6p.
- Milgrom, P. and Roberts, J., 1992. Economics, Organization and Management. Prentice-Hall Publication, New Jersey, United States of America, 336p.
- Nikooy, M. and Amozadeh, H., 2013. Investigating the effective factors on stump height and its consequences on the financial loss of the harvested volume (Case study: forests of Asalem watershed, Gilan province). Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 22(1): 133-142 (In Persian).
- Nikooy, M., Naghdi, R., Bakhshandeh, B. and Amoozadeh, H., 2013. Physical and values damages to felled trees during felling operation (Case study: Asalem watershed forests). Iranian Forests Ecology, 1(2): 70-85 (In Persian).
- Nikooy, M., Naghdi, R. and Ershadifar, M., 2013. Survey of directional felling and analysis of effective factors on felling error (Case study: Iranian Caspian forests). Caspian Journal of Environmental Sciences, 11(2): 177-184 (In Persian).
- Paarsch, H. and Shearer, B., 1996. Fixed wages, and incentive effects: Statistical evidence from Payroll records. Working Papers, Centre Interuniversitaire de Recherche en Analyse des Organisations, Universite Laval, Quebec, pp. 31-96.
- Paarsch, H.J., Shearer, B. and Ciranoc, N., 1997. Fixed wages, piece rates, and intertemporal productivity: A study of tree planters in British Columbia. Centre Interuniversitaire de Recherche en Analyse des Organisations, University of Laval, Quebec, 30p.
- Sarikhani, N., 1972. The amount of wood waste during logging operations in Iranian forests in different work conditions. Final Report of Research Project, Faculty of Natural Resources, University of Tehran, Tehran, 30p (In Persian).
- Sarikhani, N., 2010. Forest Harvesting. University of Tehran Press, Tehran, 728p (In Persian).
- Soleimanzadeh, E., 1987. Investigation on the most suitable stump height to reduce wood losses in forest trees (beech and hornbeam). Published by Research Institute of Forest and Rangeland, Tehran, 13p (In Persian).
- Sundström-Frisk, C., 1984. Behavioural control through piece-rate wages. Journal of Occupational Accidents, 6(1-3): 49-59.
- Tavankar, F. and Eynollahi, Y., 2014. Effect of ground slope, stump diameter and species on stump height and volume. Renewable Natural Resources, 5(1): 29- 41 (In Persian).
- Vanderberg, M., 2002. Value loss associated with hardwood log damage and degrades occurring during ground-based harvesting operations in central Appalachia. M.Sc. thesis, Davis College of Agriculture, Forestry and Consumer Sciences, West Virginia University, West Virginia, 107p.
- Wang, J., Long, C., McNeel, J. and Baumgras, J., 2004. Productivity and cost of manual felling and cable skidding in central Appalachian hardwood forests. Forest Products Journal, 54(12): 45-51.
- Zakrzewski, W.T., Naslovar, M. and Zagrobelny, W., 2011. Estimating volume of undersized round wood for commercial tree species in northwestern Ontario. Ontario Forest Research Institute, Ontario, 11p.