عنوان مقاله [English]
Stand structure and species diversity are two useful parameters for complex assessment of forest biodiversity, and provide important information for management and decision making for appropriate silvicultural system. For this purpose, five one ha plots were selected randomly in homogeneous ecological units of beech-hornbeam type in Nav-e Asalem, Gilan province. In order to determine complex structural diversity index (SI) in the studied forest type, uniform angle, mingling and DBH dimensions difference indicators were calculated. Also in order to determine density of trees, the nearest neighbors distance index was used. According to the results, the average value of nearest neighbors distance index was calculated to 5.58 meter. Mean uniform angle index was 0.52, which indicates clumped distribution of trees. Mean mingling index (0.45) indicates moderate mixture of the studied mixed stand. The amount of DBH dimensions difference index was 0.47, indicates moderate difference between trees diameter at breast height. The complex structural diversity index which presents three dimensions of structure, including diversity of spatial pattern, species diversity, and diversity of DBH dimensions) was calculated to 0.475. This value confirms a high level of tree diversity. The results of this study provide key information for management and maintaining of tree diversity in the studied mixed beech-hornbeam stand. Also with monitoring and management of tree diversity level we can reduce the negative impact of natural and human factors.
- Aguirre, O., Hui, G., Gadow, K.V. and Jimenez, J., 2003. An analysis of forest structure using neighborhood-based variables. Forest Ecology and Management, 183: 137-145.
- Akhavan, R. and Sagheb Talebi, Kh., 2012. Application of bivariate Ripley’s K-function for studying competition and spatial association of trees (Case study: intact Oriental beech stands in Kelardasht). Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 19(4): 632-644 (In Persian).
- Alijani, V. and Feghhi, J., 2012. Investigation on the elm (Ulmus glabra Hudson) spatial structure to applying for sustainable management (Case study: Gorazbon district, Kheyrud Forest). Journal of Environmental Studies, 37(60): 35-44 (In Persian).
- Alijani, V., Feghhi, J., Zobeiri, M. and Marvi Mohajer, M.R., 2012. Quantifying the spatial structure in Hyrcanian submountain forest (Case study: Gorazbon district of Kheyrud forest- Noushahr- Iran). Journal of Natural Environment (Iranian Journal of Natural Resources), 65(1): 111-125 (In Persian).
- Alijani, V., Feghhi, J., Zobeiri, M. and Marvi Mohajer, M.R., 2013. Investigation of different forest type’s structure with applying nearest neighbor indices (Case study: Gorazon district, Kheyrud forest). Iranian Journal of Applied Ecology, 2(3): 13-24 (In Persian).
- Basiri, R., Sohrabi, H. and Mozayen, M., 2006. A statistical analysis of the spatial pattern of trees species in Ghamisheleh Marivan region, Iran. Journal of Iranian Natural Resources, 59(2): 579-588 (In Persian).
- Commarmot, B., Bachofen, H., Bundziak, Y., Bürgi, A., Ramp, B., Shparyk, Y., Sukhariuk, D., Viter, R. and Zingg, A., 2005. Structures of virgin and managed beech forests in Uholka (Ukraine) and Sihlwald (Switzerland): a comparative study. Forest Snow Landscape Research, 79(1/2): 45-56.
- Corral, J.J., Wehenkel, C., Castelanos, H.A., Vargas, B. and Dieguez, U., 2010. A permutation test of spatial randomness: application to nearest neighbor indices in forest stands. Journal of Forest Research, 15: 218-225.
- Erfanifard, S.Y., Zare, L. and Feghhi, J., 2014. Application of nearest neighbor indices in Persian oak (Quercus brantii var. persica) coppice stands of Zagros forests. Iranian Journal of Applied Ecology, 2(5): 15-25 (In Persian).
- Falahchay, M.M., Kalantaricherode, K. and Payam, H., 2012. Compare quantitative profile Natural forest stands in both protected and non-protected area. Iranian Journal of Biological Sciences, 5(4): 113-121 (In Persian).
- Farhadi, P., Soosani, J., Adeli, K. and Alijani, V., 2014a. Investigation of positioning and species diversity changes caused by local communities in Zagros forests (Case study: Ghalehgol forest, Zagros, Iran). Journal of Wood and Forest Science and Technology, 20(4): 61-80 (In Persian).
- Farhadi, P., Soosani, J., Adeli, K. and Alijani, V., 2014b. Analysis of Zagros forest structure using neighborhood-based indices (Case study: Ghalehgol forest, Khorramabad). Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 22(2): 294-306 (In Persian).
- Habashi, H., Hosseini, S.M., Mohammadi, J. and Rahmani, R., 2007. Stand structure and spatial pattern of trees in mixed Hyrcanian beech forest of Iran. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 15(1): 55-64 (In Persian).
- Haji Mirza Aghayee, S., Jalilvand, H., Kooch, Y. and Pormajidian, M.R., 2010. Analysis of important value and spatial pattern of woody species in ecological units (Case study: Sardabrood forests). Iranian Journal of Forest, 2(1): 51-60 (In Persian).
- Hui, G.Y. and Gadow, K.V., 2002. Das Winkelmass-Herleitung des optimalen Standardwinkels. Allgemeine Forst und Jagdzeitung, 173(10): 173-177.
- Hui, G., Li, L., Zhonghua, Z. and Puxing, D., 2007. Comparison of methods in analysis of the tree spatial distribution pattern. Acta Ecologica Sinica, 27(11): 4717-4728.
- Kint, V., Lust, N., Ferris, R. and Olsthoom, A.F.M., 2000. Quantification of forest stand structure applied to Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) forests. Investigación Agraria. Sistemas y Recursos Forestales, 1: 147-163.
- McElhinny, C., 2002. Forest and woodland structure as an index of biodiversity: a review. Published by Department of Forestry, Australian National University, Canberra, 80p.
- McElhinny, C., Gibbons, P., Brack, C. and Bauhus J., 2005. Forest and woodland stand structural complexity: its definition and measurement. Forest Ecology and Management, 218: 1-24.
- Moridi, M., Sefidi, K. and Etemad, V., 2015. Stand characteristics of mixed Oriental beech (Fagus orientalis Lipsky) stands in the stem exclusion phase, Northen Iran. European Journal of Forest Research, 134(4): 693-703.
- Nouri, Z., Zobeiri, M., Feghhi, J. and Marvie Mohajer, M.R., 2013. The pattern of spatial distribution of natural beech trees and structures in northern Iran. Journal of Natural Environment (Iranian Journal of Natural Resources), 66(1): 113-125 (In Persian).
- Parkes, D., Newell, G. and Cheal, D., 2003. Assessing the quality of native vegetation: the 'habitat hectares' approach. Ecological Management and Restoration, 4(1): 29-38.
- Pastorella, F. and Paletto, A., 2013. Stand structure indices as tools to support forest management: an application in Trentino forests (Italy). Journal of Forest Science, 59(4): 159-168.
- Pommerening, A., 2002. Approaches to quantifying forest structures. Forestry, 3: 305-324.
- Pommerening, A., 2006. Evaluating structural indices by reversing forest structural analysis. Forest Ecology and Management, 224: 266-277.
- Pretzsch, H., 2009. Forest Dynamics, Growth and Yield. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 664p.
- Ruprecht, H., Dhar, A., Aigner, B., Oitzinger, G., Raphael, K. and Vacik, H., 2010. Structural diversity of English yew(Taxus bacata L.)populations. European Journal of Forest Research, 129: 189-198.
- Sefidi, K., Coopenheaver, C.A., Keivan Behjou, F. and Kakavand, M., 2014. Structural diversity within mature forests in Northern Iran: a case study from a relic population of Persian ironwood (Parrotia persica C.A. Meyer). Forest Science, 16(2): 258-265.
- Staudhammer, C.L. and Lemay, V.M., 2001. Introduction and evaluation of possible indices of stand structural diversity. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 31: 1105-1115.
- Szmyt, J., 2012. Spatial structure of managed beech-dominated forest: applicability of nearest neighbors indices. Dendrobiology, 68: 69-76.
- Szmyt, J., 2014. Spatial statistics in ecological analysis: from indices to functions. Silva Fennica, 38: 1-31.
- Szmyt, J. and Ceitel, J., 2011. Zróżnicowanie przestrzenne i grubościowe drzew w niepielęgnowanych drzewostanach sosnowych o różnym zagęszczeniu początkowym [Spatial and size diversity of trees in untended pine stands of different initial density]. Sylwan,155: 749-759.
- Szmyt, J. and Dobrowolska, D., 2016. Spatial diversity of forest regeneration after catastrophic wind in northeastern Poland. iForest, 9: 414-421.
- Szmyt, J. and Korzeniewicz, R., 2014. Do natural processes at the juvenile stage of stand development differentiate the spatial structure of trees in artificially established forest stands? Journal of Forest Research, 75(2): 171-179.
- Wang, H., Zhang, G., Hui, G., Li, Y., Hu, Y. and Zhao, Zh., 2016. The influence of sampling unit size and spatial arrangement pattern on neighborhood-based spatial structure analyses of forest stands. Forest Systems, 25(1): 1-9.