عنوان مقاله [English]
In recent decades, poplar cultivation as wood farming has been developed up to 50 thousand hectares using the fast growing eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoides Bartr. ex Marsh. 77/51) has become a common practice in north of Iran. The current study aimed to select appropriate sites for increasing growth and yield of this poplar clone. For this purpose, three different 20 years-old plantations on three different media naming: loam, silt-loam and silt-clay-loam soils of Noor alluvial plain in north of Iran were selected. The measurements were carried out based on 400 m2 plots with four replications. Quantitative and qualitative analysis showed significant differences among poplar trees grown on different soil textures beds. The poplar trees grown on loamy soils displayed the highest annual height increment of 1.27 m and volume of averaged tree of 0.956 m3. Values for average diameter, basal area and volume ha-1 were also highest in trees grown on loamy soil with total 29.1 cm, 32.59 m2 ha-1 and 443 m3 ha-1, respectively. The mean height of the trees in the silt- loam soil (24.47 mm) was significantly greater than that of the silt- clay- loam. Values for diameter increment and basal area of trees were higher in the silt- clay- loam than in silt- loam soil. In order to get an initial understanding of the habitat condition, clone selection and improvement operation, analyzing of soil is essential prior to planting of trees. In this case we can ensure and guarantee the plantation and the investment would be less risky.
- Nelson, D.V. and Sommers, L.E., 1982. Total carbon, organic carbon and organic matter: 539-580. In: Page, A.L. (Ed.). Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 2, Chemical and Microbiological Properties, Second edition. Published by American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wisconsin, 1150p.
- Asadi, F., 2001. Genetic diversity and structure within and between communities plant of different poplars. Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Natural Resources and Marine Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Noor, 258p (In Persian).
- Burger, J.A. and Ketling, D.L., 1999. Using soil quality indicators to assess forest stand management. Forest Ecology and Management, 122: 155-156.
- Cooper, D.T. and Van Haverbeke, D.F., 1990. Populus deltoides Bartr. ex Marsh. Eastern cottonwood: 530-536. In: Burns, R.M. and Honkala, B.H. (Eds.). Silvics of North America, Vol. 2: Hardwoods. Published by United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, USA, 654p.
- Cooper, D.T., D'Amico, D.R. and Scott, M.L., 2003. Physiological and morphological response patterns of Populus deltoides to alluvial groundwater pumping. Environmental Management, 31: 215-216.
- Damavandi Kamali, A.H., 2001. Poplar importance and demand of regional industries to fast growing trees in golestan province. Abstracts of the First Conference of Afforestation in North of Iran. Kelarabad, 7 March 2001: 22-23 (In Persian).
- Ebrahimi, E., 2008. Effect of spacing on the quantity and quality characteristics of oak (Quercus castaneifolia C. A. Mey.) plantation in lowland forests of Noor. M.Sc. thesis. Faculty of Natural Resources, Sari Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources University, 90p (In Persian).
- Forotannejhad, M., 1969. Guidance of poplar plantation on lowlands in north of Iran. Ministry of Natural Resources of Iran, Tehran, 30p (In Persian).
- Ghanbari, A., Tabari, M. and Sadati, A., 2011. Vegetative characteristics of populous deltoides seedling under waterlogging stress. Plant Biology, 3: 47-58P (In Persian).
- Ghasemi, R., 1999. Study of poplar clones on climate regionals in Karaj and Safrabasteh of Guilan Province. M.Sc. thesis, Faculty of Natural Resources and Marine Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Noor, 171p (In Persian).
- Ghazanshahi, J., 1997. Analysis of Soil and Plant. Homa Publishing, Tehran, 311p (In Persian).
- Goodarzi, G.H., Modir-Rahmati, A.R. and Ahmadloo, F., 2013. Investigation on adaptability of open crown poplar clones in Markazi province. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 21(2): 256-267 (In Persian).
- Hedaiati, M.A., 2012. Ideas of Afforestation, Forest Management, Ecotourism and Wood Culture. Published by Ashk Ghalam, Amol, 149p (In Persian).
- Khanjani Shiraz, B., Hemati, A., Pour Tahmasy, K. and Sardabi, H., 2013.Growth comparison of different poplar clones, planted on lowlands of west Guilan.Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 21(3): 557-572 (In Persian).
- Kiadaliri, Sh., 2002. Study of poplar plantation on different soils of west Mazandaran province. M.Sc. thesis, Faculty of Natural Resources and Marine Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Noor, 94p (In Persian).
- Kiadaliri, Sh., Tabari, M., Sarmadian, F. and Ziaei Ziabari, S.F., 2004. A comparison of popolus euramericana growth on different soils in western Mazandaran plain. Iranian Journal of Natural Resources, 58(4): 823-830 (In Persian).
- Krinard, R.M. and Johnson, R.L., 1984. Cottonwood plantation growth through 20 years. Research paper (SO-21 2), Published by United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station, New Orleans, Louisiana, 16p.
- Lashkar Bolouki, E., Modir-Rahmati, A., Kahneh, E. and Mousavi Koupar, S.A., 2010. Phenology and growth characteristics of seven clones of Populus deltoides in Astaneh Ashrafie, Guilan. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 18(4): 527-538 (In Persian).
- Lotfian, H., 1984. The report of previous poplar research plans and primary results. Proceedings of the First Conference of Poplar Importance. Published by Research Institute of Forests and Rangelands, Tehran, 8-10 Dec. 1984: 51- 117 (In Persian).
- Modir-Rahmati, A.R., 2008. The poplar research process at the Research Institute of Forests and Rangelands. Proceedings of the Second National Congress on Poplar and Potential Use in Plantations with Fast Growing Trees. Research Institute of Forests and Rangelands, Tehran, 5-7 May. 2008: 52-57 (In Persian).
- Mohammadi Limaee, S., Bahramabadi, Z., Rostami Shahraje, T., Adibnejad, M. and Mousavi Koupar, S.A., 2013. Determination of economically optimal rotation age of Populus deltoides in Guilan province. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 21(1): 63-75 (In Persian).
- Mokhtari, J., 2001. Wood culture a practical way for wood production. Abstracts of the First Conference of Afforestation in North of Iran. Kelarabad, 7 March 2001: 46-47 (In Persian).
- Mokhtari, J., 2007. Study of effect of seedling diameter on establishment and poplar wood production. Final report of research project, Published by Research Institute of Forests and Rangelands, Tehran, 24p (In Persian).
- Mokhtari, J. and Modir-Rahmati, A.R., 2006. Determination of suit poplar clones in short rotation system in Chamestan (Mazandaran). Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 14(2): 135-147 (In Persian).
- Mousavi Koupar, S.A., 2011. The effect of pure and mixed plantations of poplar and alder on production efficiency and soil properties. Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Natural Resources and Marine Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Noor, 105p (In Persian).
- Noori, F., Khodakrami, Y., Hemati, A., Modir-Rahmati, A.R. and Noori, A., 2013. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 21(2): 268-276 (In Persian).
- Salehi, A. and Maleki, M., 2012. Evaluation of soil physical and chemical properties in poplar plantations in north of Iran. Ecologia Balkanica, 4(2): 69-76.
- Salehi, A., Maleki, M., Shabanpour, M. and Basiri, R., 2012. Effect of soil physical properties and groundwater level on qualitative and quantitative characteristics of poplar plantations in west of Guilan province. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 20(1): 38-49 (In Persian).
- Schreiner, E.J., 1959. Production of Poplar Timber in Europe and its Significance and Application in the United States. Published by United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Washington D.C., 124p.
- Stanturf, J.A., Van Oosten, C., Netzer, D.A., Coleman, M.D. and Portwood, C.J., 2002. Ecology and silviculture of poplar plantations (Chapter 5): 153-206. In: Dickmann, D.I., Isebrands, J.G., Eckenwalder, J.E. and Richardson, J. (Eds.). Poplar Culture in North America. NRC Research Press, Ottawa, 397p.
- Swamy, S.L., Mishr, A. and Puri, S., 2006. Comparison of growth, biomass and nutrient distribution in five promising clones of Populus deltoides under an Agro Silviculture system. Bioresource Technology, 97: 57-88.
- Tabari, M., Kiadaliri, Sh. and Ziaei Ziabari, S.F., 2002. Qualitative and quantitative characteristics of Populus deltoides in southern plain of the Caspian Sea. Proceedings of the IUFRO Meeting, Management of Fast Growing Plantations. Izmir, Turkey, 11-13 Sep. 2002: 96-98.
- Tufekcioglu, A., Altun, L., Kalay, H.Z. and Yilmaz, M., 2005. Effects of some soil properties on the growth of Hybrid poplar in the Terme-Golardi region of Turkey. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry, 29: 221-226.
- Woods, R.F. and Hanover, J.W., 1972. Growth of imperial Carolina poplar over arrange of soil types in Lower Michigan. Tree Planter's Notes, 33(2): 8-13.
- Yosefi, B. and Modir-Rahmati, A.R., 2013. Investigation on adaptation and wood yield of different open crown poplar clones at Sanandaj comparative poplutum. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 21(1): 17-29 (In Persian).
- Zarinkafsh, M., 2001. Forest Pedology, Interaction between Soil and Plant Relationship, Environmental Factors of Forest Ecosystem. Published by Research Institute of Forests and Rangelands, Tehran, 361p (In Persian).