عنوان مقاله [English]
Soil compaction, as one of the causes of stress, has a negative impact on plant growth. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of soil compaction on root system of Caucasian alder (Aluns subcotdata C. A. Mey.) seedlings in controlled condition. After sowing of alder seeds in plastic pots in loamy or clay-loamy soils with constant moisture regimes, the reaction of seeds were evaluated under six levels of soil compaction. Collar diameter, length, biomass, and allocation ratio of root system were measured and calculated. According to the results, the studied parameters decreased significantly by increasing soil bulk density and their trend were downward quadratic, except ratio of lateral root length to main root length. Thirty six percent decrease in the mean of lateral root length, 31% decrease in the mean of main root length, 37% reduction in the mean diameter of main root and 27% fell down in the mean value of root dry biomass was recorded in treatments with different levels of soil compaction in compare to the control treatment. In general, results indicate that compaction tension has negative effect on the characteristics in the root system of Caucasian alder seedlings.
- Akhavan, S., Shabanpour, M. and Esfahani, M., 2012. Soil compaction and texture effects on the growth of roots and shoots of wheat. Journal of Water and Soil, 26(3): 727-735 (In Persian).
- Alameda, D. and Villar, R., 2009. Moderate soil compaction: implications on growth and architecture in seedlings of 17 woody plant species. Soil and Tillage Research, 103: 325-331.
- Alameda, D. and Villar, R., 2012. Linking root traits to plant physiology and growth in Fraxinus angustifolia Vahl. seedlings under soil compaction conditions. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 79: 49-57.
- Alameda, D., Anten, A., Niels, P.R. and Villar, R., 2011. Soil compaction effects on growth and root traits of Tobacco depend on light, water regime and mechanical stress. Soil and Tillage Research, 120: 121-129.
- Bejarano, M.D., Villar, R., Murillo, A.M. and Quero, J.L., 2010. Effects of soil compaction and light on growth of Quercus pyrenaica Willd. (Fagaceae) seedlings. Soil and Tillage Research, 110: 108-114.
- Blouin, V.M., Schmidt, M.G., Bulmer, C.E. and Krzic, M., 2008. Effects of compaction and water content on lodgepole pine seedling growth. Forest Ecology and Management, 255: 2444-2452.
- Chen, G.H. and Weil, R.R., 2010. Penetration of cover crop roots through compacted soils. Plant and Soil, 331: 31-43.
- Fair, B.A., 2005. Growth response and adaptability of Acer rubrum and A. xfreemanii cultivars to soil compaction. Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Horticulture and Crop Science, Ohio State University, Ohio, 260p.
- Ghorbanian, M., Liaghat, M. and Nouri, H., 2014. Effect of soil texture and bulk density on evapotranspiration and crop coefficient of forage Maize. Iranian Journal of Water Research in Agriculture, 28(2): 453-463 (In Persian).
- Hunt, R., 1990. Basic Growth Analysis: Plant Growth Analysis for Beginners. Unwin Hyman Publishing, London, 112p.
- Jackson, M.B., 1997. Hormones from roots as signals for the shoots of stressed plants. Trends in Plant Sciences, 2: 22-28.
- Jourgholami, M., Khoramizadeh, A. and Zenner, E.K., 2016. Effects of soil compaction on seedling morphology, growth, and architecture of chestnut-leaved oak (Quercus castaneifolia). iForest, 10: 145-153.
- Kobaissi, A.N., Kanso, A.A., Kanbar, H.J. and Kazpar, V.A., 2013. Morpho-physiological changes caused by soil compaction and irrigation on Zea mays. Eurasian Journal of Soil Science, 2: 114-121.
- Konôpka, B., Pagès, L. and Doussan, C., 2008. Impact of soil compaction heterogeneity and moisture on maize (Zea mays) root and shoot development. Plant, Soil and Environment, 54: 509-519.
- Kormanek, M., 2013. Determination of the impact of soil compaction on germination and seedling growth parameters of common beech in the laboratory conditions. Acta Scientarium Polonorum, 12(1): 15-27.
- Kormanek, M., Banach, J. and Sowa, P., 2015b. Effect of soil bulk density on forest tree seedlings. International Agrophysics, 29: 67-74.
- Kormanek, M., Glab, T., Banach, J. and Szewczyk, G., 2015a. Effects of soil bulk density on sessile oak Quercus petraea Liebl. seedlings. European Journal of Forest Research, 134(6): 969-979.
- Kozlowski, T.T., 1999. Soil compaction and growth of woody plants. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research, 14: 596-619.
- Kuzovkina, Y.A., Knee, M. and Quigley, M.F., 2004. Effects of soil compaction and flooding on the growth of 12 willow (Salix L.) species. Journal of Environmental Horticulture, 22(3): 155-160.
- Lambers, H., Chapin, F.S. and Pons, T.L., 1998. Plant Physiological Ecology. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 540p.
- Majnounian, B. and Jourgholami, M., 2013. Effects of rubber-tired cable skidder on soil compaction in Hyrcanian forest. Croatian Journal of Forest Engineering, 34(1): 123-135.
- Majnounian, B., Jourgholami, M., Zobeiri, M. and Feghhi, J., 2009. Assessment of forest harvesting damage to residual stands and regenerations- a case study of Namkhaneh district in Kheyrud forest. Environmental Sciences, 7(1): 33-44 (In Persian).
- Morgan, P.W., Sarquis, J.L., He, C., Jordan, W.R. and Drew, M.C., 1993. Regulation of ethylene synthesis in maize root responses to stress: 232-237. In: Pech, J.C., Latche, A. and Balague, C. (Eds.). Cellular and Molecular Aspects of the Plant Hormone Ethylene. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands, 388p.
- Mosena, M. and Dillenburg, L.R., 2004. Early growth of Brazilian Pine (Araucaria angustifolia [Bertol.] Kuntze) in response to soil compaction and drought. Plant and Soil, 258: 293-306.
- Pulido, M., Schnabel, S., Contador, J.F.L. and Mellado, I.M., 2016. Soil compaction related to grazing and its effects on herbaceous roots frequency and soil organic matter content in rangelands of SW Spain. Abstracts of EGU General Assembly Conference. Austria, 17-22 Apr. 2016: 18.
- Rosolem, C.A., Foloni, J.S.S. and Tiritan, C.S., 2002. Root growth and nutrient accumulation in cover crops as affected by soil compaction. Soil and Tillage Research, 65(1): 109-115.
- Sardabi, H., 2003. The effect of compaction stress and soil humidity on growth and rooting of olive in greenhouse. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 12(3): 413-426 (In Persian).
- Stirzaker, R.J., Passjoura, J.B. and Wilms, Y., 1996. Soil structure and plant growth: impact of bulk density and biopores. Plant and Soil, 185: 151-162.
- Tirado-Corbala, R. and Slater, B.K., 2010. Soil compaction effects on the establishment of three tropical tree species. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry, 36(4): 164-170.
- Tracy, S.R., Black, C.R., Roberts, J.A., Sturrock, C., Mairhofer, S., Craigon, J. and Mooney, S.J., 2012. Quantifying the impact of soil compaction on root system architecture in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) by X-ray micro-computed tomography. Annals of Botany, 110(2): 1-9.
- Twum, E.K.A. and Nii-Annang, S., 2015. Impact of soil compaction on bulk density and root biomass of Quercus petraea L. at Reclaimed Post-Lignite mining site in Lusatia, Germany. Applied and Environmental Soil Science, 2015: 5p.
- Ulrich, R., Neruda, J. and Valenta, J., 2003. The impact of selected machines carriageable system on forest soil. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum, 11(53): 229-235.
- Whalley, W.R., Watts, C.W., Gregory, A.S., Mooney, S.J., Clark, L.J. and Whitmore, A.P., 2008. The effect of soil strength on the yield of wheat. Plant and Soil, 306: 237-247.