عنوان مقاله [English]
Using remote sensing data is an applied method to estimate above ground biomass. In this study, satellite radar data of ALOS-2, with the full polarization and the optical data of Sentinel-2, has been used to estimate the aboveground biomass in the Nav-e Asalem forests, Gilan province. The backscattering coefficients at different polarization, the texture measures and target decomposition features of SAR images, obtained original and synthetic bands from optical images in three different combinations of radar images, optical images and the composition of radar and optical images, as inputs to the Artificial Neural Network (ANN) and Multiple Linear Regression (MLR) models were used. In order to measure aboveground biomass, 149 sample plots were laid out. Evaluation of ANN and MLR models using R2 and RMSE statistics showed that in all cases the ANN was better performance to estimate the aboveground biomass than MLR. The best results showed that the ANN from combined optical and radar data with R2 and RMSE, 0.86 and 31.62 Mg/ha (15.34%), respectively, can be the best applied method to estimate the aboveground biomass. The results of radar images and optical separately, with the R2 and RMSE for the modeling of aboveground biomass have been shown, respectively, 0.57 and 49.17 Mg/ha (23.85%) by radar images and 0.7 and 39.53 Mg/ha (19.17%) by the optical images, superior modeling to estimate aboveground biomass represents by optical imaging. The overall and more accurate results to estimate of aboveground biomass have been shown when we used combined radar and optical images with the ANN model.
- Amini, J. and Sadeghi, Y., 2013. Performance of SAR and optical images in modeling forest biomass. Iranian Journal of Remote Sensing and GIS, 4(4): 69-82 (In Persian).
- Attarchi, S. and Gloaguen, R., 2014. Improving the estimation of above ground biomass using Dual Polarimetric PALSAR and ETM+ data in the Hyrcanian mountain forest (Iran). Remote Sensing, 6(5): 3693-3715.
- Baghdadi, N., Maire, G.L., Bailly, J.S., Osé, K., Nouvellon, Y., Zribi, M., Lemos, C. and Hakamada, R., 2014. Evaluation of ALOS/PALSAR L-band data for the estimation of Eucalyptus plantations aboveground biomass in Brazil. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 8(8): 3802-3811.
- Carreiras, J.M.B., Pereira, J.M.C. and Pereira J.S., 2006. Estimation of tree canopy cover in evergreen oak woodlands using remote sensing. Forest Ecology and Management, 223: 45-53.
- Cartus, O., Santoro, M. and Kellndorfer, J., 2012. Mapping forest aboveground biomass in the northeastern United States with ALOS PALSAR dual-polarization. Remote Sensing of Environment, 124: 466-478.
- Cutler, M.E.J., Boyd, D.S., Foody, G.M. and Vetrivel, A., 2012. Estimating tropical forest biomass with a combination of SAR image texture and Landsat TM data: an assessment of predictions between regions. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 70: 66-77.
- Darvishi, M., 2014. Remote Sensing with Imaging Radar (translation). Elm Press, Tehran, 427p (In Persian).
- Diane, M.L. and Ahlfeld, D.P., 2009. Comparing artificial neural networks and regression models for predicting faecal coliform concentrations. Hydrological Sciences Journal, 52(4): 713-731.
- Eriksson, L.E.B., Magnusson, M., Fransson, J.E.S., Sandberg, G. and Ulander, L.M.H., 2007. Stem volume estimation for boreal forest using ALOS PALSAR. Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium Retrieval Bio- geophysical Parameters from SAR Data Land Application. Bari, Italy, 25-28 Sep. 2007: 4343-4346.
- Ghasemi, N., Sahebi, M.R. and Mohammadzadeh, A., 2013. Biomass estimation of a temperate deciduous forest using Wavelet analysis. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 51(2): 765-776.
- Hamdan, O., Hasmadi, I.M., Aziz, H.Kh., Norizah, N. and Zulhaidi, M.S.H., 2015. L-band saturation level for above-ground biomass of Dipterocarp forests in Peninsular Malaysia. Journal of Tropical Forest Science, 27(3): 388-399.
- Kalbi, S., Fallah, A. and Shataee Joybari, Sh., 2014. Estimation of forest biophysical properties using SPOT HRG data (case study: Darabkola experimental forest). Journal of Wood and Forest Science and Technology, 20(4): 117-133 (In Persian).
- Lucas, R., Armston, J., Fairfax, R., Fensham, R., Accad, A., Carreiras, J., Kelley, J., Bunting, P.J., Clewley, D., Bray, S., Metcalfe, D.J., Dwyer, J.M., Bowen, M., Eyre, T.J., Laidlaw, M.J. and Shimada, M., 2010. An evaluation of the ALOS PALSAR L-band backscatter-above ground biomass relationship Queensland, Australia: impacts of surface moisture condition and vegetation structure. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 3(4): 576-593.
- Ramezani, M.R. and Sahebi, M.R., 2015. Forest biomass estimation using SAR and optical images. Journal of Geospatial Information Technology, 3(1): 15-26 (In Persian).
- Rauste, Y., 2005. Multi-temporal JERS SAR data in boreal forest biomass mapping. Remote Sensing of Environment, 97(2): 263- 275.
- Shataee, Sh., Kalbi, S., Fallah, A. and Pelz, D., 2012. Forest attribute imputation using machine-learning methods and ASTER data: comparison of k-NN, SVR and random forest regression algorithms. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 33(19): 5254-6280.
- Vafaei, S., Pourhashemi, M., Pirbavaghar, M. and Jafari, E., 2016. Applying artificial neural network and multiple linear regression models for estimation of forest density in Marivan forests. Iranian Journal of Forest, 7(4): 539-555 (In Persian).
- Vashum, K.T. and Jayakumar, S., 2012. Methods to estimate above-ground biomass and carbon stock in natural forests- a review. Ecosystem and Ecography, 2(4): 1-7.