عنوان مقاله [English]
This study was carried out to estimate the branch and leaves (crown) biomass of Lebanon oak (Quercus libani Oliv.) and gall oak (Q. infectoria Oliv.) trees at single and stands level in different ages after Galazani (pollarding). We selected three oak stands which have been pollarded one, two and three years ago and an undisturbed (untouched) stand as a control. In order to estimate the amount of biomass produced from tree crown partial harvesting method and allometric equations were used. We selected 36 Lebanon and 36 gall oak trees in the various diameter classes with an average and almost uniform crowns. In the middle of tree crowns, four branches were cut from four cardinal directions randomly, and then fresh weight of leaves and twigs were measured in each branch to estimate crown biomass. Power regression model was performed as the best predictor model and relative bias and RMSE % were calculated at branch level. The results showed that there is no significant difference between measured and estimated biomass in branch level. Also, partial harvest method is unbiased procedure in biomass estimation. According to the results, amount of crown biomass at tree and stand level, in the untouched stands (9.21 tons ha-1) were more than the crown biomass in one, two and three years after pollarding (1.26, 2.32 and 3.16 tons ha-1 respectively). These results can be used to do a better management and monitoring of oak forests which affected by pollarded.
- Abbasi, L., Shakeri, Z., Shabanian, N., and Bahari, M., 2015. Pollarding effects on Lebanon oak (Quercus libani Oliv.) leaf properties in Baneh forests. Iranian Journal of Forest, 7(1): 87-97 (In Persian).
- Adl, H.R., 2007. Estimation of leaf biomass and leaf area index of two major species in Yasuj forests. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 15(4): 417-426 (In Persian).
- Aguilar, R., Ghilardi, A., Vega, E., Skutsch, M. and Oyama, K., 2012. Sprouting productivity and allometric relationships of two oak species managed for traditional charcoal making in central Mexico. Biomass and Bioenergy, 36: 192-207.
- Anonymous, 2006. Multifunctional forestry plan with emphasis on organizing and managing Galazani in Armardeh, Baneh. Published by the Center for Research & Development of Northern Zagros Forestry, Sanandaj, 321p (In Persian).
- Araujo, T.M., Higuchi, N. and Carvalho Junior, J.A., 1999. Comparison of formulae for biomass content determination in a tropical rain forest site in the state of Para, Brazil. Forest Ecology and Management, 117(1-3): 43-52.
- Bakhtiarvand Bakhtiari, S. and Sohrabi, H., 2012. Sub sampling for estimating biomass of tree crown and its components. Journal of Forest and Wood Products, 65(3): 261-270 (In Persian).
- Breda, J., 2003. Ground based measurements of leaf area index: a review of methods, instruments and current controversies. Journal of Experimental Botany, 54(392): 2403-2417.
- Cienciala, E., Apltauer, J., Exnerova, Z. and Tatarinov, F., 2008. Biomass functions applicable to oak trees grown in Central-European forestry. Journal of Forest Science, 54(3): 109-120.
- Fattahi, M., 1994. Galazani (Pollarding of oak trees). Pajouhesh & Sazandegi, 23: 4-11 (In Persian).
- Ferrini, F., 2006. Pollarding and its effects on tree physiology: a look to mature and senescent tree management in Italy. 1er colloque europeen sur les trognes. Vendome, 26-28 Oct. 2006: 8.
- Heiskanen, J., 2006. Estimating aboveground tree biomass and leaf area index in a mountain birch forest using ASTER satellite data. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 27(6): 1135-1158.
- Iranmanesh, Y., Jalali, S.G.A., Sagheb Talebi, Kh., Hosseini, S.M. and Sohrabi, H., 2012. Employing of randomized branch sampling method for estimation of above-groundbiomass of oak (Quercus brantii Lindl.). Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 5(3): 239-252 (In Persian).
- Johnson, P.S., Shifley, S.R. and Robert, R., 2002. The Ecology and Silviculture of Oaks. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, UK, 503p.
- Karlik, F.J. and McKay, H.A., 2002. Leaf area index, leaf mass density, and allometric relationships derived from harvest of blue oaks in a California oak savanna. General Technical Report, PSW-GTR-184, USDA Forest Service, USA, pp: 719-728.
- Khosravi, S., Namiranian, M., Ghazanfari, H. and Shirvani, A., 2012. Crown biomass relationships of Lebanon oak in northern Zagros forests of Iran. Croatian Jounal of Forest Engineering, 33(2): 242-247.
- Kochaki, A.R., Zand, A., Bannayan Avval, M., Rezvani Moghadam, P., Mahdavi Damhgani, A. Jamy-Alahmady, S. and Reza Vesal, S., 2005. Plant Physiological Ecology (translation). University of Mashhad Press, Mashhad, 951p (In Persian).
- Liu, C. and Westman, C.J., 2009. Biomass in a Norway spruce-scots pine forest: a comparison of estimation methods. Boreal Environment Research, 14: 875-888.
- Lizaso, J.I., Batchelor, W.D. and Westgate, M.E., 2003. A leaf area model to simulate cultivar-specific expansion and senescence of maize leaves. Field Crops Research, 80(1): 1-17.
- Navar, J., 2009. Allometric equations and expansion factors for tropical dry forest trees of eastern Sinaloa, Mexico. Tropical and Subtropical Agroecosystems, 10: 45-52.
- Parsapour, M.K., Sohrabi, H., Soltani, A. and Iranmanesh, Y., 2013. Allometric equations for estimating biomass in four poplar species at Charmahal and Bakhtiari province. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 21(3): 517-528 (In Persian).
- Pourhashemi, M., Eskandari, S., Dehghani, M., Najafi, T., Asadi, A. and Panahi, P., 2012. Biomass and leaf area index of Caucasian Hackberry (Celtis caucasica Willd.) in Taileh urban forest, Sanandaj, Iran. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 19(4): 609-620 (In Persian).
- Ranjbar, A., Ghahramani, L. and Pourhashemi, M., 2013. Impact assessment of pollarding on biometrical indices of Lebanon oak (Quercus libani Oliv.) in Belake forests, Baneh. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 20(4): 578-594 (In Persian).
- Read, H., 2006. A brief review of pollards and pollarding in Europe. 1er colloque europeen su les trognes. Vendome, 26-28 Oct. 2006: 6p.
- Satoo, T., 1982. Forest Biomass. Dr. W. Junk Publisher, The Hague, Netherlands, 164p.
- Socha, J. and Wezyk, P., 2007. Allometric equations for estimating the foliage biomass of Scots pine. European Journal of Forest Research, 126: 263-270.
- Starr, M., Hartman, M. and Kinnunen, T., 1998. Biomass function for mountain birch in the Vuoskojarvi integrated monitoring area. Boreal Environment Research, 3: 297-303.
- Turnbull, C., 2005. Cass Turnbull's Guide to Pruning: What, When, Where & How to Prune for a More Beautiful Garden. Sasquatch Books Publisher, Seatle, 336p.
- Valipour, A., Plieninger, T., Shakeri, Z., Ghazanfari, H., Namiranian, M. and Lexer, M.J., 2014. Traditional silvopastoral management and its effects on forest stand structure in northern Zagros, Iran. Forest Ecology and Management, 327: 221-230.