عنوان مقاله [English]
Air pollution is one the threatening factors affecting human and plants health in the cities. Since human continuance is closely related with the plants’ survival, different effects of pollution on plants can affect green areas and vegetation management and preservation in urban zones. Therefore, this study was carried out to define the effects of urban pollutant gases (SO2, NO2 and O3) on quantitative characteristics of round-leaf ash (Fraxinus rotundifolia Mill.) in Tehran. The study was carried out in seven municipal districts of Tehran, which were selected to include the wide spectrum of climatic conditions and contrasted levels of air pollution within the city. Quantitative characteristics including leaf area, specific leaf area, wet and dry weight, leaf toughness and thickness and water content percentage were studied by means of correlation analysis and t- test. The correlation results showed that increasing air pollution results in decreasing dry and wet weights and leaf area. Amongst the seven studied districts, the analysis revealed that Azadi and Sorkhehesar areas were associated with significant differences in pollution and non-significant differences in soil and climate. Our study indicated that all of the characteristics are significantly different in two areas. Furthermore, the quantities of all parameters except leaf thickness significantly decreased in more polluted areas.
- Agathokleous, E., Paoletti, E., Manning, W.J., Saitanis, C.J., Satoh, F. and Koike, T., 2015. Growth responses of a willow to free-air-O3 fumigation and EDU. Programme and Abstracts of UFRO International Congress. France, 1-5 June, 2015: 119-119.
- Areington, C.A., Varghese, B., Ramdhani, S. and Sershen, 2015. An Assessment of morphological, physiological and biochemical biomarkers of industrial air pollution in the Leaves of Brachylaena discolor. Water, Air and Soil Pollution, 226(9): 1-14.
- Balasooriya, B.L.W.K., Samson, R., Mbikwa, F., Vitharana, W.A.U., Boeckx, P. and Van Meirvenne, M., 2009. Biomonitoring of urban habitat quality by anatomical and chemical leaf characteristics. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 65: 386-394.
- Carreras, H.A., Cañas, M.S. and Pignata, M.L., 1996. Differences in responses to urban air pollutants by Ligustrum lucidum. Environmental Pollution, 93: 211-218.
- Dann, M.S. and Pell, E.J., 1989. Decline of activity and quantity of ribu-lose isphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase and net photosynthesis in ozone-treated potato foliage. Plant Physiology, 91: 427-432.
- Dineva, S.B., 2004. Comparative studies of the leaf morphology and structure of white ash (Fraxinus americana L.) and London plane tree (Platanus acerifolia Willd) growing in polluted area. Dendrobiology, 52: 3-8.
- Ferdinand, J.A., Fredericksen, T.S., Kouterick, K.B. and Skelly, J.M., 2000. Leaf morphology and ozone sensitivity of two open pollinated genotypes of black cherry (Prunus serotina) seedlings. Environmental Pollution, 108(2): 297-302.
- Gerosa, G., Marzuolib, R., Bussottic, F., Pancrazic, M. and Dentid, A.B., 2003. Ozone sensitivity of Fagus sylvatica and Fraxinus excelsior young trees in relation to leaf structure and foliar ozone uptake. Environmental Pollution, 125: 91-98.
- Ghorbanli, M., Bakhshi Khaniki, G. and Bakand, Z., 2008. Air pollution effects on fresh and dry weight, amount of Proline , number of stomata, trichome and epidermal cells in Nerium oleander and Robinia pseudoacacia in Tehran city. Pajouhesh-va-Sazandegi, 77(4): 28-34 (In Persion).
- Grantz, D.A., Garner, J.H.B. and Johnson, D.W., 2003. Ecological effects of particulate matter. Environment International, 29: 213-239.
- Gratani, L., Crescente, M.F. and Petruzzi, M., 2000. Relationship between leaf life-span and photosynthetic activity of Quercus ilex in polluted urban areas (Rome). Environmental Pollution, 110: 19-28.
- Honour, S.L., Bell, J.N.B., Ashenden, T.W., Cape, J.N. and Power S.A., 2009. Responses of herbaceous plants to urban air pollution: effects on growth, phenology and leaf surface characteristics. Environmental Pollution, 157: 1279-1286.
- Jiahua, Z., Yun, X., Fengmei, Y., Peijuanl, W., Wenjuan1, G., Li1, L. and Limin Y., 2010. Advances in estimation methods of vegetation water content based on optical remote sensing techniques. Technological Sciences, 53(5): 1159-1167.
- Kardel, F., Wuyts, K., Babanezhad, M., Vitharana, U.W.A., Wuytack, T., Potters, G. and Samson, R., 2010. Assessing urban habitat quality based on specific leaf area and stomatal characteristics of Plantago lanceolataL. Environmental Pollution, 158: 788-794.
- Karimi, M. and Azizi, M.M., 1997. Basic Growth Analysis (translation). Published by Jihad-e Daneshgahi of Mashhad, Mashhad, 111p (In Persian).
- Kundu, S.K. and Tigerstedt, P.M.A., 1998. Variation in net photosynthesis, stomatal characteristics, leaf area and whole-plant phytomass production among ten provenances of neem (Azadirachta indica). Tree physiology, 19: 47-52.
- Leghari, S.K. and Zaidi, M.A., 2013. Effect of air pollution on the leaf morphology of common plant species of Quetta city. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 45(S1): 447-454.
- Lordifard, P., Seyyednejhad, S.M. and Motamedi, H., 2013.The effect of air pollution on some physiological parameters in conocarpus growthed in bidboland gas refinery. Proceedings of the First National Conference on Plant Stress. Esfahan University, 10-11 Nov. 2012: 1-6.
- Mansfield, T.A. and McCune, D.C., 1988. Problems of crop loss assessment when there is exposure to two or more gaseous pollutants, In: Heck, W.W., Taylor, O.C. and Tingey, D.T., (Eds.). Assessment of Crop Loss from Air Pollutants. Elsevier Applied Science, London, 350p.
- Mebrahtu, T. and Hanover, J.W., 1991. Family variation in gas exchange, growth and leaf traits of black locust half-sib families. Tree Physiology, 8: 185-193.
- Mozaffarian, V., 2005. Trees and shrubs of Iran. Published by Farhang-e Moaser, 991p.
- Nayak, D., Patel, D.P., Thakare, H.S. Satashiya, K. and Shrivastava, P.K., 2015. Evaluation of air pollution tolerance index of trees. Research in Environment and Life Sciences, 8(1): 7-10.
- Niinemets, U., 1999. Components of leaf dry mass per area -thickness and density-alter leaf photosynthetic capacity in reverse directions in woody plants. New Phytologist, 144: 35-47.
- Oka, E., Yuko, T., Takeshi, O. and Noriaki, K., 2003. A physiological and morphological study on the injury caused by exposure to the air pollutant, peroxyacetyl nitrate (PAN), Based on the quantitative assessment of the injury. The Botanical Society of Japan and Springer, Tokyo, 246p.
- Pandey, J. and Pandey, U., 1994. Evaluation of air pollution phytotoxicity in a seasonally dry tropical urban environment. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 33: 195-213.
- Pathak, H. and Pancholi, K., 2014. Effect of air pollution on foliar morphology of some tree species at Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India. Journal of Environmental Research and Development, 8(3): 669-672.
- Pignata, M.L., Gudiño, G.L., Cañas, M.S. and Orellana, L., 1999. Relationship between foliar chemical parameters measured in Melia Azedarach L. and environmental conditions in urban areas. Science of the Total Environment, 244: 85-96.
- Pourkhabbaz, A.R., Rastin, N., Olbrich, A.,Langenfeld Heiser, R. and Polle, A., 2010. Influence of environmental pollution on leaf properties of urban plane trees, Platanus orientalis L. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 85(3): 251-255.
- Rafiei, Z., Mirghafari, N.A. and Matinkhah, S.H., 2014. Estimation of bio-indicator of plane tree (Platanus orientalis L.) versus air pollution stress. Journal of natural Environment (Iranian Journal of Natural Resources), 67(1): 65-78 (In Persian).
- Runeckles, V.C., 1984. Impact of air pollutant combinations on plants, In: Treshow, M., (Ed.). Air Polution and Plant Life. John Wiley & sons, New York, 380p.
- Salama, H.M.H., Al-Rumaih, M.M. and Al-Dosary, M.A., 2011. Effects of Riyadh cement industry pollutions on some physiological and morphological factors of Datura innoxia Mill. Plant Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, 18: 227-237.
- Shafiq, M., Zafar Iqbal, M., Athar, M. and Qayyum, M., 2009. Effect of auto exhaust emission on the phenology of Cassia siamea and Peltophprum pterocarpum growing in different areas of Karachi. African Journal of Biotechnology, 8(11): 2469-2475.
- Tiwari, Sh., 2013. Air pollution induced changes in foliar morphology of two shrub species at Indore city, India. Research Journal of Recent Sciences, 2: 195-199.
- Treshow, M. and Anderson, F.K., 1989. Effects of sulphur dioxide and heavy metals. In: Treshow, M. and Anderson, F.K. (Eds.). Plant Stress from Air Pollution. John Wiley, Chichester, 257p.