عنوان مقاله [English]
Landuse change is one of the most important influential factors on the protection of natural ecosystems, since it greatly contributes to, for example, stabilizing soil and avoiding its erosion. This study aimed to evaluate the effect of different landuses on soil carbon sequestration potential in Chahartagh-e Ardal area of Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari province. To this aim, six different landuse types including natural forest, disturbed forest, enclosure forest, garden, grassland and agriculture were selected, followed by randomly drawing ten samples in each landuse type. In addition, quantitative parameters of existing vegetation, and 60 soil samples were also taken from the 0-60 cm soil depth in each plot. Soil analysis was performed to determine the texture, bulk density and soil organic carbon. The results showed that enclosure forest has the highest rate of carbon sequestration in soil among the different land uses (47.466 Mg C ha-1) and the lowest rate related to disturbed forest (13.689 Mg C ha-1), which was attributed to its appropriate vegetation and ecosystem dynamics. Moreover, a significant difference (p < 0.01) was observed. The results suggest that forest ecosystems that have not been influenced by human interferences play an important role in long-term storage of soil carbon. In addition, any interference in natural ecosystem condition can be associated with negative impact on different levels on soil carbon storage.
- Anderson, J., Beduhn, R., Current, D., Espeleta, J., Fissore, C., Gangeness, B., Harting, J., Hobbie, S., Nater, E. and Reich, P., 2008. The Potential for Terrestrial Carbon Sequestration in Minnesota. A Report to the Department of Natural Resources from the Minnesota Terrestrial Carbon Sequestration Initiative, Published by University of Minnesota, USA, 79p.
- Anonymous, 2007. Climate Change: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, IPCC, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK, 1535p.
- Dinakaran, J. and Krishnayya, N.S.R., 2008. Variation in type of vegetal cover and heterogeneity of soil organic carbon in affecting sink capacity of tropical soils. Current Science, 94(9): 1144-1150.
- Doran, J.W., 1987. Microbial biomass and mineralizable nitrogen distribution in no-tillage and plowed soils. Biology and Fertility of Soils Journal, 5: 68-75.
- Edmondson, J.L., Davies, Z.G., McCormack, S.A., Gaston, K.J. and Leake, J.R., 2014. Land-cover effects on soil organic carbon stocks in an European city. Science of the Total Environment, 472: 444-453.
- Falahatkar, S., Hosseini, S.M., Ayoubi, Sh. and Salman Mahiny, A., 2013. The impact of primary terrain attributes and land cover/use on soil organic carbon density in a region of Northern Iran. Iranian Journal of Soil and Water Research, 27(5): 963-972 (In Persian).
- Fallahzadeh, J.L. and Hajabbasi, M., 2011. Distribution of organic carbon, nitrogen and carbohydrates in aggregates of desert andcultivated soils in central Iran. Iranian Journal of Soil and Water Research, 25(3): 518-529 (In Persian).
- Hajabbasi, M.A., Besalatpour, A. and Melali, A.R., 2008. Impacts of converting rangelands to cultivated land on physical and chemical properties of soils in south and southwest of Isfahan. Iranian Journal of Sciences and Technology of Agriculture and Natural Resources, 11(42): 525-534 (In Persian).
- Han, X. , Tsunekawa, A., Tsubo, M. and Li, Sh., 2010. Effects of land-cover type and topography on soil organic carbon storage on northern loess Plateau, China. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B: Soil & Plant Science, 60(4): 326-334.
- Jahanbazi, H., Talebi, M., Khoshnevis, M., Ebrahimi, A., Hamzeh, B., Mozaffarian, V., Emami, S.N. and Ghaedi, A., 2000. The Study of the Effect of 12 Year Reserve on Plant Coverage Developmen, Soil Reformation, and Regeneration of Forest Woody Species in Chahartagh Ardal, Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari Province. Final Report of Research Project, Published by Research Institute of Forests and Rangelands, Tehran, 57p (In Persian).
- Javadi Tabalvendani, M.R., Zehtabiyan, Gh.R., Ahmadi, H., Ayoubi, Sh., Jafari, M. and Alizadeh, M., 2010. The role of different land use on the soil carbon sequestration (Case study: Numeh Roud Watershed, Nour). Natural Ecosystems of Iran, 1(2): 156-166 (In Persian).
- Kirby, K.R. and Potvin, C., 2007. Variation in carbon storage among tree species: Implications for the management of a small-scale carbon sink project. Forest Ecology and Management, 246: 208-221.
- Lal, R., 2003. Global potential of soil carbon sequestration to mitigate the greenhouse effect. Critical Review in Plant Sciences, 22(2): 151-184.
- Lal, R., 2008. The Role of Soil Organic Matter in the Global Carbon Cycle. Published by Carbon Management and Sequestration Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 64p.
- Liu, M.Y., Chang, Q.R., Qi, Y.B., Liu, J. and Chen, T., 2014. Aggregation and soil organic carbon fractions under different land uses on the tableland of the Loess Plateau of China. Catena, 115: 19-28.
- Liu, Z., Shao, M. and Wang, Y., 2011. Effect of environmental factors on regional soil organic carbon stocks across the Loess Plateau region, China. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 142: 184-194.
- MacDicken, K.G., 1997. A Guide to Monitoring Carbon Storage in Forestry and Agroforestry Projects. Published by Winrock Internationl Institute for Agricultural Development Forest Carbon Monitoring Program, USA, 91p.
- Mahmoudi, E., Mahdavi, M. and Javadi, M.R., 2013. Soil carbon sequestration potential of land use types of the ecosystem (Case study: Maydan Watershed, Esfarayen, Northern Khorasan). Natural Ecosystems of Iran, 3(3): 101-113 (In Persian).
- Mahmoudi Taleghani, E., Zahedi Amiri, Gh., Adeli, E. and Sagheb-Talebi, Kh., 2007. Assessment of carbon sequestration in soil layers of managed forest. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 15(3): 241-252 (In Persian).
- Mandal, D., Singh, R., Dhyani, S.K. and Dhyani, B.L., 2010. Landscape and land use effects on soil resources in a Himalayan Watershed. Catena, 81(3): 203-208.
- Muñoz-Rojas, M., Jordán, A., Zavala, L.M., Rosa, D., Abd-Elmabod, S.K. and Anaya-Romero, M., 2012. Effect of land use and land cover changes on carbon sequestration in vegetation and soils between 1956 and 2007 (Southern Spain). Abstracts of EGU General Assembly, Austria, 22-27 Apr. 2012, pp: 435.
- Nosrati, K., 2011. The effect of land use and soil erosion on soil organic carbon and nitrogen stock. Environmental Erosion Research, (3): 127-140 (In Persian).
- Pathak, P., Sahrawat, K.L., Rego, T.J. and Wani, S.P., 2004. Measurable biophysical indicators for impact assessment: Changes in soil quality. In: Shiferaw, B., Freeman, H.A. and Swinton, S.M. (Eds.). Natural Resources Management in Agriculture: Methods for Assessing Economic and Environmental Impacts. CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 382p.
- Penman, J., Gytarsky, M., Hiraishi, T., Krug, Th., Kruger, D., Pipatti, R., Buendia, L., Miwa, K., Ngara, T., Tanabe, K. and Wagner, F., 2003. Good practices guidance for land use, land-use change and forestry. IPCC National Greenhouse Gas Inventories Programme, Published by the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) for the IPCC , Japan, 590p.
- Rajan, K., 2010. Soil organic carbon-the most reliable indicator for monitoring land degradation by soil erosion. Current Science, 99: 6-25.
- Sohrabi, H., 2014. Spatial pattern of woody species in Chartagh forest reserve, Ardal. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research, 22(1): 27-38 (In Persian).
- Tate, K.R., Ross, D.J., Saggar, S., Hedley, C.B., Dando, J., Singh, B.K. and Lambie, S.M., 2007. Methane uptake insoils from Pinus radiata plantations, a reverting shrubland and adjacent pastures: Effects of landuse change, and soil texture, water and mineral nitrogen. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 39: 1437-1449.
- Wang, Y., Fu, B., Lü, Y., Song, C. and Luan, Y., 2010. Local-scale spatial variability of soil organic carbon and its stock in the hilly area of the Loess Plateau, China. Quaternary Research, 73: 70-76.
- Wang, H., Guan, D., Zhang, R., Chen, Y., Hu, Y. and Xiao, L., 2014. Soil aggregates and organic carbon affected by the land use change from rice paddy to vegetable field. Ecological Engineering, 70: 206-211.
- Wiesmeier, M., Lützow, M., Spörlein, P., Geuß, U., Hangen, E., Reischl, A., Schilling, B. and Kögel-Knabner, I., 2015. Land use effects on organic carbon storage in soils of Bavaria: The importance of soil types. Soil and Tillage Research, 146: 296-302.