عنوان مقاله [English]
By considering environmental education as the basic source of knowledge to increase awareness of climate change and environmental issues in students, this was studied here by surveying students residing in Kalibar in the Arasbaran region (as forest dwellers) and Tabriz (as the non-forest dwellers). The main aim of this research was to quantify the students' information on environment and climate change and the effect of workshops in increasing their information. The statistical population consists of 69000 individuals, and data were collected from 221 intermediate-level students by questionnaires distributed in six schools. One school was randomly selected from each of the urban and rural areas of Kalibar, as well as from urban areas of Tabriz, resulting in 6 schools in total. The content validity of the questionnaire was confirmed through a panel of academic and executive specialists. The reliability was also measured using the Cronbach's alpha coefficient in environmental (0.74) and climate (0.84) fields. Based on the results, > 90% of students in both forest and non-forest areas emphasized the importance of the Arasbaran forests. Internet was mentioned as the most important source of environmental and climate information among the non-forest (42.1%) and forest (34.5%) students. The workshop held for both groups of individuals led to a relative increase of 10% in awareness of climate change. In addition, 34 and 15% of the students in non-forest and forest regions stated that they had previously no information on the climate change consequences, which was increased to 5 and 8% in the post-workshop period, respectively. After the workshop, 63.5 and 60.7% of the students in non-forest and forest regions believed that they could and should participate in climate change campaigns. Overall, the results of the research showed that the workshops had a significant effect on increasing the awareness as well as environmental information.
- Akbari Armand, M., Babaie, F., Mohammadi, A. and Moharamnejhad, N., 2016. Comparison of education level of students in environmental and non environmental schools in order to achieving sustainable development. Sustainability, Development and Environment, 3(2): 81-89 (In Persian).
- Alavi Moghadam, M.R., Maknoon, R., Babazadeh Naseri, A., Khanmohammadi Hzaveh, M.R. and Eftekhari Yegane, Y., 2013. Evaluation of awareness, attitude and action of Amirkabir University of technology students on general aspects of environment. Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 14(4): 147-154 (In Persian).
- Alavipour, F.S., Karimi, S., Yazdandad, H. and Vahidian, A., 2017. Measurement of environmental knowledge and interest of rural students (case study: Torghabeh and Shandiz district). Journal of Rural Research, 7(4): 672-687 (In Persian).
- Ansari, N., Seyed Akhlaghi Shal, S. and Ghasemi, M., 2009. Determination of socio-economic factors on natural resources degradation of Iran. Iranian Journal of Range and Desret Research, 15(4): 508-524 (In Persian).
- Anyanwu, R.N., 2015. An assessment of climate change science literacy and climate change pedagogical literacy of geography teachers in the Western Cape. Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Education, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa, 358p.
- Bhuiyan, M.A.H., Islam, R., Siwar, C. and Ismail, S.M., 2010. Educational tourism and forest conservation: Diversification for child education. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 7: 19-23.
- Boeve-de Pauw, J., Donche, V. and Van Petegem, P., 2011. Adolescents’ environmental worldview and personality: An explorative study. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 31(2): 109-117.
- Emerson, J., Esty, D.C., Levy, M.A., Kim, C.H., Mara, V., de Sherbinin, A. and Srebotnjak, T., 2010. 2010 Environmental performance index. Report, Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy, New Haven, Connecticut, 87p.
- Esty, D.C., Levy, M.A., Srebotnjak, T., de Sherbinin, A., Kim, C.H. and Anderson, B., 2006. Pilot 2006 environmental performance index. Report, Yale Center for Environmental Law & Policy, New Haven, Connecticut, 356p.
- Fien, J., Scott, W. and Tilbury, D., 2001. Education and conservation: Lessons from an evaluation. Environmental Education Research, 7(4): 379-395.
- Johnson, B. and Manoli, C.C., 2008. Using Bogner and Wiseman’s Model of Ecological Values to measure the impact of an earth education programme on children’s environmental perceptions. Environmental Education Research, 14(2): 115-127.
- Karimi, S., 2018. Relationships of environmental knowledge with environmental behaviors’ agricultural students of Bu-Ali Sina University: The mediating role of environmental attitudes. Journal of Environmental Education and Sustainable Development, 6(2): 127-140 (In Persian).
- Katona, I., Kárász, I., Leskó, G., Kosáros, A. and Lakatos, G., 2008. Role of media in students' life and their environmental education: A survey of students aged 13 to 17. Journal of Teacher Education for Sustainability, 10: 79-90.
- Kiani Salmi, S. and Shaterian, M., 2018. Analysis of social and cultural factors affecting the environment (Case study: Kashan). Journal of Environmental Education and Sustainable Development, 6(2): 101-115 (In Persian).
- Mirdamadi, M., Bagheri Varkaneh, A. and Smaeili, S., 2010. Research on the degree of awareness of high school students about environmental protection (a case study in city of Tehran). Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 12(1): 201-216 (In Persian).
- Mulder, M.B., Schacht, R., Caro, T., Schacht, J. and Caro, B., 2009. Knowledge and attitudes of children of the Rupununi: Implications for conservation in Guyana. Biological Conservation, 142(4): 879-887.
- Nates, J., Campos, C. and Lindemann-Matthies, P., 2012. The impact of a short conservation education workshop on Argentinean students’ knowledge about and attitudes towards species. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 8(3): 257-267.
- Ramezani Ghavamabadi, M.H., 2013. Strategic review of environmental protection education in Iran: necessities bottlenecks. Rahbord, 21(65): 233-257 (In Persian).
- Rezaie, M. and Shobeiri, S.M., 2015. The relationship between the degrees of using ICT (with an emphasis on the Internet) with the environmental literacy of students. Journal of Human and Environment, 12(4): 40-58 (In Persian).
- Rutsaert, P., Regan, Á., Pieniak, Z., McConnon, Á., Moss, A., Wall, P. and Verbeke, W., 2013. The use of social media in food risk and benefit communication. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 30(1): 84-91.
- Saadati, N., Karimi, D. and Monavari, M., 2015. Environmental educational need assessment of school students in the Khouzestan province. Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 16: 573-585 (In Persian).
- Sadik, F. and Sadik, S., 2014. A study on environmental knowledge and attitudes of teacher candidates. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 116: 2379-2385.
- SCI (Statistical Center of Iran), 2015. The Statistical Yearbook of East Azerbaijan. Statistical Center of Iran, Tehran, 808p (In Persian).
- Shobeiri, S.M., 2018. The Role of social networks on the culture of the teachers' environmental values and beliefs: a case study of the Telegram. Journal of Environmental Education and Sustainable Development, 6(2): 37-43 (In Persian).
- Veisi, H. and Zarandian, A., 2012. Evaluation of citizen awareness and knowledge about environment (Case study of tradespeople and managers of District 12 of Tehran Municipality). Journal of Environmental Education and Sustainable Development, 1(1): 35-42 (In Persian).
- Vodouhê, F.G., Coulibaly, O., Adégbidi, A. and Sinsin, B., 2010. Community perception of biodiversity conservation within protected areas in Benin. Forest Policy and Economics, 12(7): 505-512.
- Wendling, Z.A., Emerson, J.W., Esty, D.C., Levy, M.A., de Sherbinin, A., et al., 2018. 2018 Environmental performance index. Report, Yale Center for Environmental Law & Policy, New Haven, Connecticut, 193p.