عنوان مقاله [English]
The bux moth, Cydalima perspectalis Walker (Lep.: Crambidae), has been identified as the most important pest of the genus Buxus in the world. This pest was introduced into Iran in 2016 and became highly invasive and destructive on Buxus hyrcana Pojark in the Northern Forests of Iran. The aim of this study was the evaluation of botanical pesticide Azadirachtin (Neem Azal®) to control of the bux moth and its combination with Henna as a synergist. Experiments were performed in a completely randomized design and were evaluated on second instar larvae of C. perspectalis under laboratory conditions (27±1°C, 65±10 R.H. and 16:8 L:D). At first, the mortality rate of the three concentrations of the Azadirachtin (1500, 1000 and 250 ppm) with control (water) was analyzed in six replications, then the effect of combination of three concentrations of Neem Azal® + Henna powder were investigated with three replications. The mortality was recorded after 24, 48 and 72 h. Our findings indicated that the application of Neem Azal® + Henna powder as an inexpensive and available adjuvant compound in spray tank could reduce the recommended concentration up to 50% and become more affordable to control C. perspectalis. This synergistic effect was similar when the dose of insecticide becomes doubles.
- Abbas Rezaei, S., Aramideh, Sh. and Frozan, M., 2016. Efficiency of Bacillus thuringiensis var. krustaki with Henna essence and Neemarin (Neem toxicant - Azadirachta indica A.) on second and third instars larvae cabbage large white butterfly Pieris brassicae L. (Lep: Pieridae) in lab conditions. Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies, 4(4): 461-465.
- Almeida, G.D., Zanuncio, J.C., Senthil-Nathan, S., Pratissoli, D., Polanczyk, R.A., Azevedo, D.O. and Serrão, J.E., 2014. Cytotoxicity in the midgut and fat body of Anticarsia gemmatalis (Lepidoptera: Geometridae) larvae exerted by neem seeds extract. Invertebrate Survival Journal, 11(1): 79-86.
- Bernays, E.A., Chamberlain, D. and McCarthy, P., 1980. The differential effects of ingested tannic acid on different species of Acridoidea. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 28(2): 158-166.
- Capinera, J.L. and Froeba, J.G., 2007. Behavioral responses of Schistocerca americana (Orthoptera: Acrididae) to azadirex (neem)-treated host plants. Journal of Economic Entomology, 100(1): 117-122.
- Copping, L.G. and Duke, S.O., 2007. Natural products that have been used commercially as crop protection agents. Pest Management Science, 63(6): 524-554.
- Correia, A.A., Wanderley-Teixeira, V., Teixeira, A.A.C., Oliveira, J.V. and Torres, J.B., 2009. Morfologia do canal alimentar de lagartas de Spodoptera frugiperda (J E Smith) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) alimentadas com folhas tratadas com nim. Neotropical Entomology, 38(1): 1-12.
- Duthie-Holt, M.A., Borden, J.H. and Rankin L.J., 1999. Translocation and efficacy of a neem-based insecticide in lodgepole pine using Ips pini (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) as an indicator species. Journal of Economic Entomology, 92(1): 180-186.
- Ermel, K., Pahlich, M. and Schmutterer, H., 1987. Azadirachtin content of neem kernels from different geographical locations and its dependence on temperature, relative humidity and light. Proceedings of 3rd Neem Conference. Nairobi, Kenya, 10-15 Jul. 1986: 171-184.
- Farahani, S., Omid, R., Salehi, M. and Arefipour, M. R., 2016. The record of new pest Cydalimaper spectalis (Walker, 1859) (Lepidoptera: Crambidae) from Iran. Iranian Journal of Forests and Range Protection Research, 14(1): 68-72 (In Persian).
- Hashemi Tasuji, O., Aramideh, Sh., Safaralizadeh, M.H. and Hashemi Tasuji, Z., 2015. Effects of Bacillus thuringiensis var. kurstaki in combination with henna on three larval stages of tomato borer, Tuta absoluta (Meyrick) (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) in laboratory conditions. Plant Protection, 38(3): 37-47 (In Persian).
- Helson, B.V., Lyons, D.B. and Wanner, K.W., 2001. Control of conifer defoliators with neem-based systemic bioinsecticides using a novel injection device. The Canadian Entomologist, 133(5): 729-744.
- Huang, Z., Shi, P., Chen, C. and Du, J., 2007. Effects of azadirachtin on hemolymph protein expression in Ostrina furnacalis (Lepidoptera: Crambidae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 100(2): 245-250.
- Huang, Z., Shi, P., Dai, J. and Du, J., 2004. Protein metabolism in Spodoptera litura (F.) is influenced by the botanical insecticide azadirachtin. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, 80(2): 85-93.
- Kenis, M., Nacambo, S., Leuthardt, F.L.G., Domenico, F.Di and Haye, T., 2013. The box tree moth, Cydalima perspectalis, in Europe: horticultural pest or environmental disaster? Aliens, 33: 38-41.
- Koul, O., Isman, M.B. and Ketkar, C.M., 1990. Properties and uses of neem, Azadirachta indica. Canadian Journal of Botany, 68(1): 1-11.
- Li, S.G., Lin, H.F., Yin, C.D., Chen, S.R., Zhang, L., Wang, P.L. and Xu, T.Z., 2004. Biology and microbial control of box tree caterpillar, Diaphania perspectalis (Walker). Forest Insurance, 6: 584-587.
- Lowery, D.T. and Smirle, M.J., 2000. Toxicity of insecticides to obliquebanded leafroller, Choristoneura rosaceana, larvae and adults exposed previously to neem seed oil. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 95(2): 201-207.
- Mally, R. and Nuss M., 2010. Phylogeny and nomenclature of the box tree moth, Cydalima perspectalis (Walker, 1859) comb. n., which was recently introduced into Europe (Lepidoptera: Pyraloidea: Crambidae: Spilomelinae). European Journal of Entomology, 107(3): 393-400.
- Martinez, S.S. and van Emden, H.F., 2001. Growth disruption, abnormalities and mortality of Spodoptera littoralis (Boisduval) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) caused by azadirachtin. Neotropical Entomology, 30(1): 113-125.
- Morgan, E.D., 2009. Azadirachtin, a scientific gold mine. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 17(2): 4096-4105.
- Namvar, P., 1999. The effect of Bt on the first, second and third instars larvae of Spodoptera exigua Hübner and the role of henna and carbrandom synergists to increase its efficiency in the lab. M.Sc. thesis, Agricultural Faculty, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran, 90p (In Persian).
- Namvar, P., Safaralizadeh, M.H. and Poormirza, A.A., 2002. Studies on the susceptibility of Spodoptera exigua (Hubner) larvae to Bacillus thuringiensis under greenhouse conditions. Abstract of the 15th Iranian Plant Protection Congress. Kermanshah, Iran, 7-11 Sep. 2002: 80 (In Persian).
- Rharrabe, K., Amri, H., Bouayad, N. and Sayah, F., 2008. Effects of azadirachtin on post-embryonic development, energy reserves and α-amylase activity of Plodia interpunctella Hübner (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Journal of Stored Products Research, 44(3): 290- 294.
- Sagheb Talebi, Kh., Sajedi, T. and Pourhashemi, M., 2014. Forests of Iran: A Treasure from the Past, A Hope for the Future. Springer, 152p.
- Salahi, F., 2012. Investigating the interactions of several factors with natural origin in mixing with Bacillus thuringiensis against cabbage large white butterfly Pieris brassicae L. (Lep: Pieridae). M.Sc. thesis, Agricultural Faculty, Maragheh University, Maragheh, Iran, 101p (In Persian).
- Sayah, F., 2002. Ultrastructural changes in the corpus allatum after azadirachtin and 20- hydroxyecdysone treatment in adults females of Labidura riparia (Dermaptera). Tissue & Cell, 34(2): 53-62.
- Sayah, F., Fayet, C., Idaomar, M. and Karlinsky, A., 1996. Effect of azadirachtin on vitellogenesis of Labidura riparia (Insect Dermaptera). Tissue & Cell, 28(6): 741-749.
- Senthil Kumar, N., Murugan, K. and Zhang, W., 2008. Additive interaction of Helicoverpa armigera nucleopolyhedrovirus and azadirachtin. BioControl, 53: 869-880.
- Senthil Nathan, S., Kalaivani, K., Sehoon, K. and Murugan, K., 2006. The toxicity and behavioral effects of neem limonoids on Cnaphalocrocis medinalis (Guenée), the rice leaffolder. Chemosphere, 62(8): 1381-1387.
- Thompson, D.G. and Kreutzweiser, D.P., 2006. Environmental fate and ecotoxicological effects of natural product pesticides in Canada: 245-274. In: Felsot, A.S. and Racke, K.D. (Eds.). Certified Organic and Biologically Derived Pesticides. American Chemical Society, Washington DC, USA, 326p.
- Tomé, H.V.V., Martins, J.C., Corrêa, A.S., Galdino, T.V.S., Picanço, M.C. and Guedes, R.N.C., 2013. Azadirachtin avoidnace by larvae and adult females of the tomato leafminer Tuta absoluta. Crop Protection, 46: 63-69.
- Wan, H., Kenis, M., Nacambo, S., Xu, H., Zhang, F. and Li, H., 2014. Biology and natural enemies of Cydalima perspectalis in Asia: Is there biological control potential in Europe?. Journal of Applied Entomology, 138(10): 715-722.