عنوان مقاله [English]
Smoke tree (Cotinus coggygria Scop.) is an attractive ornamental species that has medicinal properties. In this study, the effects of different levels of salt on plant growth and cow manure and vermicompost on increasing the salt tolerance of plant were investigated. In a factorial experiment and completely randomized design (CRD), three levels of organic amendments (1- soil, 2- 80% v/v soil + 20% v/v vermicompost, 3- 80% v/v soil + 20% v/v cow manure) and three levels of salinity (1, 4 and 7 dS.m-1) with three replications per treatments were applied. In this experiment, media without organic amendment was considered as control. Results showed that increasing soil salinity levels progressively decreased the growth characteristics and fresh and dry weight of plant. The highest height and diameter were observed in control plants and in 1 dS.m-1 salinity. Vermicompost treatment better than control and cow manure increased fresh and dry weight of shoot. The highest fresh and dry weight of shoots by 230.8 and 123.36 g respectively, were obtained in the highest salinity level (7 dS.m-1) and vermicompost treatment. In moderate and high levels of salt stress (4 and 7 dS.m-1) vermicompost better than cow manure could increase leaf area. Cow manure and vermicompost could reduce sodium and chloride of leaf to control and increase its potassium. Generally, the use of cow manure and vermicompost could improve the growth characteristics and nutrient absorption of plant under salt condition compare to the control.
- Arancon, N.Q., Edvards, C.A., Atiyeh, R. and Metzger, J.D., 2004. Effects of vermicomposts produced from food waste on the growth and yields of greenhouse peppers. Bioresource Technology, 93(2): 139-144.
- Aryantha, I.P., Cross, R. and Guest, D.I., 2000. Suppression of Phytophthora cinnamomi in potting mixes amended with uncomposted and composted animal manures. Phytopathology, 90(7): 775-782.
- Chartzoulakis, K.S., 2005. Salinity and olive: Growth salt tolerance, photosynthesis and yield. Agricultural Water Managemet, 78(1-2): 108-121.
- Coleman, D.C. and Crossley, D.A., Jr., 1996. Fundamentals of Soil Ecology. Academic Press, San Diego, 205p.
- Davis, P.H., Coode, M.J.E. and Cullen, J., 1982. Cotinus adans. In: Davis, P.H. (Ed.). Flora of Turkey and the East Aegean Islands. Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh, 543p.
- Emam, Y. and Zavareh, M., 2005. Drought Tolerance in Higher Plants: Genetical, Physiological, and Molecular Biological Analysis (translation). First edition, Markaze Nashre Daneshgahi, Tehran, 186p (In Persian).
- Fuchs, J., Berner, A., Mayer, J., Smidt, E., and Schleiss, K., 2008. Influence of compost and digestates on plant growth and health: potentials and limits, International congress, CH-Solothurn, Netherland, 27-29 Feb. 2008: 1-10.
- Giusquiani, P.L., Pagliai, M., Gigliotti, G., Businelli, D. and Benetti, A., 1995. Urban waste compost: Effects on physical, chemical and biochemical soil properties. Journal of Environmental Quality, 24(1): 175-182.
- Hasheminia, S.M., Kouchaki, A. and Ghahreman, N., 1997. Exploitation of Saline Water in Sustainable Agriculture (translation). Jahade Daneshgahi Publications, Mashhad, 236p (In Persian).
- Heidari Sharifabad, H., 2001. Plant and Salinity. Research Institute of Forest and Rangelands, Tehran, 199p (In Persian).
- Jeyabal, A. and Kuppuswamy, G., 2001. Recycling of organic wastes for the production of vermicompost and its response in rice-legume cropping system and soil fertility. European Journal of Agronomy, 15(3): 153-170.
- Kafi, M., Borzoee, A., Salehi, M., Kamandi, A., Masoumi, A. and Nabati, J., 2009. Physiology of Environmental Stresses in Plants. Jahad Daneshgahi, Mashhad, 502p (In Persian).
- Matić, S., Stanić, S., Mihailović, M. and Bogojević, D., 2016. Cotinus coggygria Scop.: an overview of its chemical constituents, pharmacological and toxicological potential. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, 23: 452-461.
- Metternicht, G., 2001. Assessing temporal and spatial changes of salinity using fuzzy logic, remote sensing and GIS. Foundations of an expert system. Ecological Modelling, 144(2-3): 163-179.
- Momenpour, A., Bakhshi, D., Imani, A. and Rezaie, H. 2015. Effect of salinity stress on growth characteristics and concentrations of nutrition elements in almond ‘Shahrood 12’, ‘Touno’ cultivars and ‘1-16’ genotype budded on GF677 rootstock. Journal of Crops Improvement, 17(1): 197-216 (In Persian).
- Mozaffarian, V., 2015. Identification of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants of Iran. First edition, Farhang Moaser, Tehran, 1444p (In Persian)
- Munns, R. and Tester, M., 2008. Mechanisms of salinity tolerance. Annual Review of Plant Biology, 59: 651-681.
- Munns, R., Wallace, P.A., Teakle, N.L. and Colmer, T.D., 2010. Measuring soluble ion concentrations (Na(+), K(+), Cl(-)) in salt-treated plants: 371-382. In: Sunkar, R. (Ed.). Plant Stress Tolerance, Methods in Molecular Biology (Methods and Protocols). Humana Press, Springer, New York, 386p.
- Novaković, M., Vučković, I., Janaćković, P., Soković, M., Filipović, A., Tešević, V. and Milosavljević, S., 2007. Chemical composition, antibacterial and antifungal activity of the essential oils of Cotinus coggygria from Serbia. Journal of the Serbian Chemical Society, 72(11): 1045-1051.
- Olmez, Z., Temel, F., Gokturk, A. and Yahyaoglu, Z., 2007. Effects of cold stratification treatments on germination of drought tolerant shrubs seeds. Journal of Environmental Biology, 28(2): 447-453.
- Oraei, M., Tabatabaei, S.J., Fallahi, E. and Imani, A., 2009. The effects of salinity stress and rootstock on the growth, photosynthetic rate, nutrient and sodium concentrations of almond (Prunus dulcis Mill.). Journal of Horticultural Sciences, 23(2): 131-140 (In Persian).
- Palizdar, M., Panahi, P., Noghani, A. and Pourhashemi, M., 2014. Some strategies for improvement of seed germination of smoke-tree (Cotinus coggygria Scop.); an endemic species of the Arasbaran Forests. Iranian Journal of Forest, 6(2): 233-244
- Parida, A.K., Das, A.B. and Mittra, B., 2004. Effects of salt on growth, ion accumulation, photosynthesis and leaf anatomy of the mangrove, Bruguiera parviflora. Trees, 18(2): 167-174.
- Razavi Nasab, A., Shirani, H., Tajabadi Pour, A. and Dashti, H., 2011. Effect of salinity and organic matters on chemical composition and root morphology of pistachio seedlings. Journal of Crop Improvement, 13(1): 31-42 (In Persian).
- Rezaei, M., Lesani, H., Babalar, M. and Talaei, A.R., 2006. Effect of NaCl on growth and ion content in five olive cultivars. Journal of Iranian agricultural Science, 37(4): 293-301 (In Persian).
- Rezvani Moghaddam, P. and Koocheki, A., 2001. History of research on salt-affected lands of Iran- Present and future prospects: Halophytic ecosystems. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Prospects of Saline Agriculture in the GCC Countries. Dubai, 18-20 Mar. 2001: 83-95.
- Sabeti, H., 2008. Forests, Trees and Shrubs of Iran. Punlished by Yazd University, Yazd, 886p (In Persian).
- Scalia, R., Oddo, E., Saiano, F. and Grisafi, F., 2009. Effect of salinity on Puccinellia distans (L.) Parl. treated with NaCl and foliarly applied glycinebetaine. Plant Stress, 3(1): 49-54.
- Seilsepour, M., Golchin, A. and Roozban, M.R., 2016. Evaluation of salt tolerance in two olive rootstocks based on growth characteristics and regression analysis to salinity. Journal of Soil Management and Sustainable Production, 6(2): 83-100 (In Persian).
- Sharma, A.K., 2002. Biofertilizers for Sustainable Agriculture. Agrobios, India, Jodhpur, 407p.
- Siringam, K., Juntawang, N., Cha-Um, S., Boriboonkaset, T. and Kirdmaner, C., 2011. Salt stress induced ion accumulation, ion homeostasis, membrane injury and sugar contents in salt-sensitive rice (Oryza sativa L. spp. indica) roots under isoosmotic conditions. African Journal of Biotechnology, 10(8): 1340-1346.
- Tisdall, J.M. and Oades, J.M., 1982. Organic matter and water-stable aggregates in soils. European Journal of Soil Science, 33(2):141-163.
- Tomati, U., Galli, E., Grappelli, A. and Di Lena, G., 1990. Effect of earthworm casts on protein synthesis in radish (Raphanus sativum) and lettuce (Lactuca sativa) seedlings. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 9: 288-289.
- Zarei, M., Azizi, M., Rahemi, M. and Tehranifar, A., 2016. Assessment of salinity tolerance of three fig cultivars based on growth and physiological factors and ions distribution. Iranian Journal of Horticultural Science and Technology, 17(2): 247-260 (In Persian).